Having trouble mounting wet tanned hides - shrinking?

Submitted by Russ J on 03/01/2004 at 15:18. ( russ@realistictaxidermy.com ) 65.170.168.3

I have recently started wet tanning my capes using EZ-100. I love the process and they way the capes turn out. However, I have ran into a problem that I havent found much info on. After oiling and sweating the capes, I re-froze them until time to mount. I pulled the first one out of the freezer allowed it to thaw and tried to test fit it on the mannikin. No doing! I tried with another one as well and ran into the same thing. Now I know the mannikins are the right size, I have been mounting using DP for 3 years with no probs but I really want to be able to offer a better product to my customers so I started wet tanning them.

Is is normal for the capes to shrink during the tanning process? is there a way to stretch them prior to mounting so I can get the cape down over the neck? I use the short Y incision if it matters.

Thanks!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Whats the better product?

This response submitted by john on 03/01/2004 at 17:19. ( ) 4.10.189.63

I went back to DP.

Here we go again...

This response submitted by Hogger on 03/02/2004 at 04:35. ( ) 4.7.211.157

DP is the stuff they used to mount dinosuars. Truth is, since you come from a DP background you would be surprsied by shrinkage. I'm not so sure if you are actually having shrinkage or if you are experiencing a lost of stretch. It's hard to get as much stretch out of a tanned hide as with a cape treated with DP. A DP cape is still a "raw" cape with all the joys that come with a raw cape like stretch... as well as eventual bug problems, dry cracking hides, etc... Here comes the missles! Duck!

I am trying to get away from DP altogether but....

This response submitted by Russ J on 03/02/2004 at 10:26. ( russ@realistictaxidermy.com ) 65.170.168.3

Hogger, it sounds like the case is that I am experiencing a loss of stretch due to tanning. Is this correct? What would be the best way to handle this? Should I start ordering my forms a bit smaller?

I really love the appearance and feel of the tanned capes. And they shave much easier on the fleshing machine after being pickled which I REALLY like. I dont however like not being able to get my capes on the form ;o(

I re-oiled one of the capes last night and left it out to sweat overnight. Hopefully that will allow me enough stretch to get it mounted today.

Thanks

Use Krowtann

This response submitted by CC on 03/02/2004 at 23:31. ( ) 64.91.86.232

You wont believe the stretch you get! Awesome product, Ive done everything from squirrels to lifesize bears. Very impressed.

CUSTOMERS QUESTIONS

This response submitted by John J. on 04/02/2004 at 14:25. ( ) 208.134.202.36

I have been curently using DP just because thats what I was shown to use and I figured it to be a newer just as effective way to mounting animals. I always heard that tanning was better, but I figured it was like the Ford Chevy thing. I have been using DP for 20 +/- years now and have never had anyone complain. But getting back to customers, the first thing they ask me is will it be the same size as when I bring it in? With DP I can say yes but with a Tanned hide I can't because of shrinkage. I would like to try a tanned hide but would hate to have a Full Rut buck turn into a summer buck. How often is this the case with tanning?

Return to Tanning Category Menu