Dry Tan Question

Submitted by Lance on 03/02/2004 at 08:01. ( ) 206.159.163.221

I've looked through the archives on this but didn't quite get the answer I need but here goes..... I've always used a wet tan for all my deer. I always order my forms off the measurements of the wet tanned skin then pop them in the freezer till I get the forms in. I need to know when I rehydrate to get my measurements, what do I do with the skin till I get my forms are shipped to me? Do I freeze them after rehydrating or if only a few days will skins be ok if just left in the refrigerator? never really thought about this before till now ? Thanks for your help.
Lance

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Several Options

This response submitted by Kevin on 03/02/2004 at 10:30. ( ) 24.116.178.139

There are several ways to keep the skins.
First, after the skin is rehydrated, I do all the prep work.
If I plan on mounting the skin in 3 or 4 days, I put it in a clear plastic bag twist it up tight, and put it in the refrigerator.
If I think I won't get to the hide for a week or so, instead of putting it in the refrigerator, I just put it in the freezer.
When I get a batch of capes from the tannery, I'll rehydrate them all and take measurements and order manakins. The capes are usually in the freezer for at least a week and sometimes as long as 3 months.
I've never had any problems with any of the rehydrated/frozen capes.

Kevin

Return to Tanning Category Menu