Bill Yox - Question about McKenzie Tan

Submitted by John H on 03/02/2004 at 15:53. ( ) 68.119.251.134

I have read through the archives about McKenzie Tan, and I even saw you in the catalog. For this reason I am asking you my questions about the tan. Are there any other steps that you recommend doing that they did not put in the catalog? And how many hides can I tan with Pint, Quart, etc.? Also someone tried to tell me that I did have to use the Saftee Acid is this true? The person who told me this is an old retired taxidermist. He said that I could the pickle step, just soak for 12 hours in salt-water, flesh, and soak again for 12 hours in salt-water then put on the liquid tan. I was wondering what you thought of this. I am new to the business and I have only used Dry Preservative and want to start tanning. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Correction

This response submitted by John H on 03/02/2004 at 15:55. ( ) 68.119.251.134

Also someone tried to tell me that I did not have to use the Saftee Acid is this true? - Correction for my question. Sorry

Corrected Question - Sorry

This response submitted by John H on 03/02/2004 at 15:56. ( ) 68.119.251.134

I have read through the archives about McKenzie Tan, and I even saw you in the catalog. For this reason I am asking you my questions about the tan. Are there any other steps that you recommend doing that they did not put in the catalog? And how many hides can I tan with Pint, Quart, etc.? Also someone tried to tell me that I did not have to use the Saftee Acid is this true? The person who told me this is an old retired taxidermist. He said that I could skip the pickle step, just soak for 12 hours in salt-water, flesh, and soak again for 12 hours in salt-water then put on the liquid tan. I was wondering what you thought of this. I am new to the business and I have only used Dry Preservative and want to start tanning. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Contact McKenzie

This response submitted by Sgt. A on 03/02/2004 at 18:37. ( ben@williams-net.com ) 204.117.13.86

Contact McKenzie at 800-279-7985 or you can go to there website and click on instructions on how to use there McKenzie Tan.

Hi John

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 03/03/2004 at 09:37. ( ) 209.130.221.98

John, my answering these questions will have someone else saying Im wrong, but you decide based on the info you recieve, and make a good choice. I feel that we should salt the cape and then pickle it. Im not buying into the shortcuts. To me it doesnt matter how long a guys been at it, or how successful he was with the shortcuts. Its the time that it DOES fail that will make doing it the traditional way worth it. I like safety acid or formic, but safety acid for obvious reasons. Extra steps? I probably shave the cape one more time than others, but that can be considered optional. Im not sure how many capes per bottle, theres many variables. It goes a long way though. I just dont get the salt water soak methods. If theyre willing to make jerky out of a cape for that long, why not just add the acid and pickle it? Makes no sense. Always remember this...alternative methods may indeed tan the surface, or preserve parts of the skin, or even stabilize it long enough to mount and dry it. Its just that many of us believe that true tanning is a better way to go. Good luck with your choice, and sorry you had to endure my catolog pic, hahaha!

Thanks

This response submitted by John H on 03/03/2004 at 15:11. ( ) 68.119.251.134

Bill and all who answered thank you for your time and answers, they all helped.

Return to Tanning Category Menu