Ammonium alum

Submitted by Jeannie Perry on 03/05/2004 at 23:24. ( ) 209.247.222.49

Can someone please help me--I am looking for information for my husband who is just beginning in taxidermy. Someone told him that ammonium alum is necessary to properly tan a hide. He works the swing shift so does not have a lot of time to do research. He asked me to find out what ammonium alum is and how it is used/applied. I don't have the slightest notion what I'm asking about but would appreciate any information anyone might could give me that I could pass on to my husband. Thank you, Jeannie Perry

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You've come to the right place

This response submitted by Griz on 03/05/2004 at 23:49. ( ) 69.66.85.96

There is a whole category devoted to tanning. There are several YEARS worth of archives, anything you can possibly imagine can be found in there, if you can't find it, then click on the ORANGE BUTTON(labeled 'search' on the left hand column) . If you continually ask simple questions someone might get a lil' mift and um....remind... you of it, just because the simplest of questions have been answered literally THOUSANDS of times.

Basic run down of tanning...

Skin... Deflesh (known as fleshing) ...Salt...shakeoff/rinse...resalt...rinse...pickle...shave/thin/final fleshing/...pickle...apply tanning agent...mount or break

Ammonium alum is not very commonly used anymore. You need an acid for your pickle and many use Rittel's Safetee acid... and there are many good tans on the market. At the top of the page is a suppliers link, WASCO is a very good place to order from.

Two final things Read the archives... there is so much valuble info in there and don't underestimate the time and effort it takes to tan a hide correctly. GOOD LUCK

Return to Tanning Category Menu