skulls skullls skulls

Submitted by Time-runithed-out on 03/06/2004 at 04:12. ( ) 152.163.252.165

yes my experts with volumes of knowledge i'm back i need to know how to clean a skull of all meat and brainage i'd like to do it simple and fast if that helps i mean i know you can do it the natural magget/ant/insect way but its still kinda cold so yea they arn't geared up yet please give me help

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I'll beat everyone to it.

This response submitted by Vic on 03/06/2004 at 08:25. ( ) 209.83.14.240

Click on the orange search button. There are many way's to do it but I like to take most of the meat off and throw it in a bucket of water. You can add lysol if you wish, let it sit for a week, drain, add more water and let nature take it's course. When the skull is done make sure you don't loose any teeth. For the final draining I pour it through a nylon, then rinse the skull with a hose if it's warm out or in the utility tub if it's not.

Ouch on the lysol

This response submitted by Raven on 03/06/2004 at 08:59. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Lysol kinda defeats the purpose of putting it in a bucket of water...

Remove as much meat as you can - leaving some scraps to build a cluture with (more on that in a minute). Flatten the end of a 1/8 wire thats about 10 inches long and ben that last two inches into a slight curve. Put it into a drill - stick it intot he foramen major (the hole where the spinal cord goes in) and start drilling. The wire will slice n dice it's way through the brain turnign it to goo. Tip the skull on end and the brian will ooze out. Once you get out all the brain that you can - simply drop it in a bucket of water that is NOT tightly sealed and let it sit for a week. Now heres the culture part. A natural present airborn bacteria will start to develope its own culture in the water and turn everything intoa flesh dissolving necrotic soup that will remove the flesh from your skull. Adding lysol or anti-bacterial anything will kill the bacteria that you so desperately need for htis process to work effectively. At the very least it will rapidy slow down its effectiveness. After a week - remove the skull and have a look at it - rinse it under water and see how much flesh is left. If it needs to go back in, do a 50% water change and plop it back in. The culture does have optimum parameters.. not enough oxygen and the culture slows down.. too much oxygen and the culture dies. A 50% water change every week is usually all it takes to keep everything running optimaly. You can strain the 50% water you plan to keep to remove large elemennts of debris, as the bacteria in the water will do fine without those chunks on the bottom.

Once you are satisfied with the flesh removal, proceed to degreasing and whitening (if desired).

Hope that helps =)

thanks yall

This response submitted by Time-runithed-out on on 03/06/2004 at 09:18. ( ) 64.12.116.199

thanks yalloh raven do i need to put a top on the bucket? and what about just boiling it will that work ?

Stuff...

This response submitted by Raven on 03/06/2004 at 09:57. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Foramen Magnum - not foramen major - had a lil brain hiccup there =)

Uncoverred is best at least for a the first couple days... Putting a lid on it restricts the amount of air contact you get and thus a smaller amount of bacteria to begin your culture. Once that incubation period is over (48 hours should be plenty) you can snap a lid on it. Be sure to vent the lid or at least remove it periodically ans swsh the contents around. You want to avoid build ups of gases that can alter the cultures performance. It doesn't ALWAYS make that much of a difference, but I prefer to not take chances. Be warned that although this is one of the best ways to clean skulls and bones.. it is also one of the most 'aromatic' shall we say ;)

Boiling is hard on skulls. It can do suture damage to varying degrees, cause rapid expansion of the dentine and cementum inside teeth, forcing the enamels to crack (this can also happen from freezing) and it can easily 'set' fats and oils into the bone where even acetone or other strong solvents or degreasers cannot remove it. It is also a major cause of chalkiness and flaking.

Sal Soda and any sort of chlorinated bleach product are also no-no's for cleaning skulls, despite their wide spread popularity. The sodium and chlorine in them replace the calcium in the bone.

Hope that helps =)

Intresting

This response submitted by oldshaver on 03/06/2004 at 10:23. ( ) 207.69.4.34

Just learned something Raven. I have seen taxidermists boil skulls, but what you have said makes alot of sense.

Lysol

This response submitted by Vic on 03/06/2004 at 11:37. ( ) 66.84.232.160

What you describe is what I have done for years and think it works best. I add lysol to cut the smell for the couple of days that the lid is off. The total process takes about 2-3 weeks for me. I don't use much lysol so maybe that's why.

I tried this

This response submitted by Dean on 03/07/2004 at 22:02. ( ) 12.107.140.238

and it works really good but the first time i took the lid off I almost puked. I was dry heaving as I was changing the water. Remember not to lose any teeth.

Return to Tanning Category Menu