Wet tanning

Submitted by chad on 03/08/2004 at 14:31. ( ) 65.64.58.204

What kind of tan does everyone use when mounting deer? I use a commercial wet tan but I was curious what everyone else uses. I have also seen where people send of the hide and they come back dried and you have to rehydrate them water, is this tan easier to work with? The tannery I use can do both but I was taught to use the wet tan. Thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Chad

This response submitted by Bruce on 03/08/2004 at 14:52. ( ) 207.69.82.222

I use a Saftee Acid pickle/ez100 and tan in house.
Why are you interested in what others use?

The way I was taught.

This response submitted by Chad on 03/08/2004 at 15:19. ( ) 65.64.58.204

Well the guy who taught me how to mount deer was kind of a blowhole, some of the techniques he used were pretty stupid and really had no factor when mounting deer, other than thats the way he did it. So a lot of things he showed me, I have dropped and started doing it my way. I was just curious if the wet tan method was something I should keep or is there another tan out there that would be easier for me to try, maybe get better results.

McKenzie Tan

This response submitted by ibb1gdaddy2 on 03/08/2004 at 17:25. ( ) 38.114.29.186

I just used the McKenzie tan this weekend on one of my own mounts.
I've used d.p. and a few commercial tans before. I really liked the McKenzie tan it worked great and I also used the Epo-Grip hide paste. These two products went great together. I also use Rittel's safety acid.

Return to Tanning Category Menu