Another McKenzie tan question

Submitted by Dave on 03/08/2004 at 22:33. ( ) 65.117.121.226

I am trying McKenzie tan for the first time. I am doing a fox and have pickled in saftee acid 24 hrs., shaved, returned to pickle another 12 hrs., degreased, neutralized, rinsed,towel dried and brushed on McKenzie tan and am leaving set over night before putting in freezer. Hope everything is done right so far. Haven't had any hair loss yet (except my own worrying if I've done everything right). My question is about getting tan out of fur. Should I rinse it before freezing or go ahead and freeze and rinse before mounting? Also should it be rinsed in cold or warm water? Not sure if warm water will affect hide or not.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Freeze it

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 03/09/2004 at 05:24. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.150.181.127

Dave, go ahead and freeze it for now. When your ready to mount it, I then wash the fur with pert shampoo and dry it in my dryer set on cool with a few towels in it. Tumble it for about 15 to 20 min and you should have a nice fluffed up fur and a ready to mount fox. After you mount it then take the hair dryer set on cool and reblow the fox.

alternative to Frank

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 03/09/2004 at 19:49. ( ) 209.130.219.106

If slippage is a concern, tumble it in sawdust. Theres not much tan that leaks out anyway, and some sawdust will clean it up without having to wet it another time. If slippage isnt a worry, Franks way also leaves the hair nice and clean.

Return to Tanning Category Menu