how does DP work...

Submitted by Griz on 03/07/2004 at 13:17. ( ) 69.66.86.34

scientifically speaking. Here is a good one for you pros. I have a basic understanding of tans but how does dp do it?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

2 dry up the hide and...

This response submitted by George G on 03/07/2004 at 13:26. ( . ) 141.153.131.74

somewhat bugproof it.

it just dehydrates it and nothing else?

This response submitted by Griz on 03/07/2004 at 21:49. ( ) 69.66.87.78

i knew that was the basic idea but i thought it would do more than that. If all it does is dry out the hide can't you just use salt and a fan? Aren't there bad proteins that need to be broken down? And replaced?

Yeah, so forget about it and tan!

This response submitted by Hogger on 03/08/2004 at 01:52. ( ) 4.7.218.13

AND... ignore the attacks that will follow this post from the dinosuar taxidermists!

Scientifically speaking?

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 03/08/2004 at 02:11. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 67.200.29.164

First off salt is hygroscopic.

Go to www.hidetanning.net and scroll down to Understanding The Lack Of Stretch In A Tanned Hide, click on.

I have provided a couple of links to the Protein Data Bank on that page, along with a few microphotographs, and explanantions. All the information on that page is going to revolve around collagen, the supporting structure of skin, and doesn't even start to cover epidermis/epitheal/hypodermis layers. Those articles will just START to give you a better foundation from which to build from if you are truly serious in the questions you ask. If I remember right, linking, in terms of stabilization, is covered somewhat on the PDB data base. That would be ONE of the principles involved in the effectiveness of a DP, with DP being an awfully wide brush with which to paint. Which compound or compounds would you be calling DP? Are you looking at it from the stand point of a dessicant, or a link, or both? Or are you looking for, or at anti-oxidants?

See where I'm coming from? If you're looking for simple one or two sentence answers, they aren't there.

Return to Tanning Category Menu