Homemade tanning solution?

Submitted by Brett Fairchild on 03/09/2004 at 23:30. ( traphuntfish@hotmail.com )

I have been trapping for most of my life, a mear 8 years out of 19. I have toyed with the idea of tanning my poor grade skins that would sell badly on the market. I have had an interest in making leather goods such as possible bags and the such. However I don't have a recipe for any homemade tanning solution. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you for you time.

Brett Fairchild

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Home made tanning

This response submitted by Tetawon on 03/10/2004 at 17:02. ( tetawon@yahoo.com )

I smoke tan some substandard grade/badly damaged furs that I've trapped. Smoked hides will get hard again if they get wet, but work nicely for patchwork couch throws and beadspreads.

I have also brain tanned small ermine pelts and then smoke tanned them dry. Just remember, it's a lot more work using the homemade process than the off the shelf kit.

This response submitted by Curtis on 03/10/2004 at 18:59. ( )

I brain tan fur and leather for a how-to go to braintan.com

I think

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 03/10/2004 at 22:50. ( ddtaxidermy@yahoo.com )

if you check into it, you will find that tanning supplies are in expensive and easy to use, with less chance of messing things up. Check out Rittals or get a kit from one of the suppliers on this site.

Return to Tanning Category Menu