Homemade tanning solution?

Submitted by Brett Fairchild on 03/09/2004 at 23:30. ( traphuntfish@hotmail.com ) 140.211.50.83

I have been trapping for most of my life, a mear 8 years out of 19. I have toyed with the idea of tanning my poor grade skins that would sell badly on the market. I have had an interest in making leather goods such as possible bags and the such. However I don't have a recipe for any homemade tanning solution. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you for you time.

Brett Fairchild

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Home made tanning

This response submitted by Tetawon on 03/10/2004 at 17:02. ( tetawon@yahoo.com ) 12.110.74.16

Brett,

I smoke tan some substandard grade/badly damaged furs that I've trapped. Smoked hides will get hard again if they get wet, but work nicely for patchwork couch throws and beadspreads.

I have also brain tanned small ermine pelts and then smoke tanned them dry. Just remember, it's a lot more work using the homemade process than the off the shelf kit.

Brett

This response submitted by Curtis on 03/10/2004 at 18:59. ( ) 68.93.177.236

I brain tan fur and leather for a how-to go to braintan.com

I think

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 03/10/2004 at 22:50. ( ddtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 67.72.210.254

if you check into it, you will find that tanning supplies are in expensive and easy to use, with less chance of messing things up. Check out Rittals or get a kit from one of the suppliers on this site.

Doug

Return to Tanning Category Menu