? for krowtann users

Submitted by BIG JAKE on 03/18/2004 at 07:50. ( ) 67.32.38.226

after you take your hide out of the tanning mix,then you final flesh / shave......do you then put the hide back into the tanning mix?
the directions do not say to put it back, 2 different people have told me to do this.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I don't

This response submitted by Mark S. on 03/18/2004 at 07:56. ( ) 68.103.119.128

After I nuetralize it I always wash it and rinse it. I then spin it in my washing machine a couple cycles then let it drip some. I then shave it down and either freeze or refrigerate depending on when I am going to mount it.

only if you like the extra work

This response submitted by anthony on 03/18/2004 at 08:32. ( ) 166.102.26.227

If you put the hide back in after youve done all the steps up to final fleshing why go back to the tann and have to go thru nutralizing the hide again.The only reason you would take a hide out shave and put it back in the tann is on an EXTRA THICK hide or if it wasnt rough fleshed enough youll know this whene you get it out of the tann before nutralizeing it will still be pinkish in large areas
just rinse the cape remember to wear gloves there will still be acids on the hide shave then put back in tann for a few more days.

I do

This response submitted by Travis on 03/18/2004 at 18:01. ( ) 68.102.253.173

On my deer and larger mammals I soak it for 3 days, shave then back in the tan overnight..maybe I don`t need to but I do. next day I neutralise,wash with tide, and tumble...with bobcats I shave and drop back in till evening then neutralise..never had a problem either way...great stuff

don't half to

This response submitted by johnw. on 03/19/2004 at 11:49. ( ) 12.215.63.29

BIG JAKE,I have never personally used this product,but according to the ads in Taxidermy Today,you don't put it back in the tan,just shave and mount.

Return to Tanning Category Menu