Stop Rot Users

Submitted by Marc A on 03/19/2004 at 09:11. ( ) 206.138.130.2

Are those of you using stop rot using it on all of your work or only on those suspect hides ?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I've been experimenting and using........

This response submitted by Bonnie Z on 03/19/2004 at 11:44. ( ) 209.81.219.177

stop rot on just about everything. Currently doing a ton of ducks/geese/gamebirds + turkeys. Injecting feet and using it on the skins. Guess you could say I've tried and use it on everything iffy or not (great on fish and mammals too) So far greatly impressed with the results.
I tend to go with why WAIT for any trouble...LOL

Stop-Rot = Good Stuff

This response submitted by fur on 03/19/2004 at 15:37. ( ) 216.144.8.84

I have used Stop-Rot as a tanning agent and auxiliary on mammal skins, suspect or not. Aldehydes make great tanning agents and auxiliaries, their only problem is that they tend to make stuff turn slightly yellow, so this needs to be compensated for in final tanning stages.

I also use it to turn ears, I inject the ear and then about 15 minutes later I turn it. It seems to make the ear split out more easily then if I inject with pickle or plain water.

Actually, very little of what I do is "how they recommend" it be used. I found it to be very ineffective when I would brush it on to pelts and then do things like flesh noses, whisker pads, etc. It just doesn't seem to stop slippage when brushed on. It's great for stopping it if used as a soak or injectable though.

The skins treated in this way seem to soak up tanning agents better in later steps of the process.

Highly recommended product, this and Preserve-It work like charms!

What is your mixture

This response submitted by Stephen on 03/19/2004 at 16:18. ( ) 216.143.107.62

What mixture do you use for your soak method?

Paint it on.

This response submitted by Ritchie on 03/19/2004 at 21:32. ( ) 155.91.19.73

I have to disagree with fur. Glen Conley has developed on of the bezt product available for in house tanning and cape preparation. I won't skin another mammal without hitting it with stop rot first thing. His entire system will give you the best stretch you can get and Stop Rot will increase your working time and is your best shot at preventing , and in some cases , stopping epidermis slippage.

Stephen & Ritchie

This response submitted by fur on 03/20/2004 at 02:07. ( ) 216.144.8.73

Stephen, if I told you that secret, then you'd know too much... :) My response is - experiment. See what you like best. Find what works for you.

Ritchie, I'm not working on deer and I'm not doing taxidermy tanning or mounting. All of my skins are tanned for future use in fur coats and things of that nature. They are not "wallhangers and rugs", they are to be used for actual wear.

The WDS product line does not give a garment tan. It does not contain alum but it's still not what I was looking for.

That's okay - product diversity is what makes the trade world go 'round - I love Stop-Rot! Hard Tissue Tonic is good stuff too! I will continue to be a happy WDS customer. Highly recommend the WDS stuff, it's good stuff.

Return to Tanning Category Menu