question regarding "acid shock" when nuetralizing the pickle

Submitted by Cindy on 03/22/2004 at 00:42. ( )

I've recently been using Lutan F for my tan and oxalic acid crystals for the pickle. I watched the video for Lutan F and it said not to add the baking soda to nuetralize too fast after you pickle or you can create "acid shock". you're supposed to add something like 1 tsp. baking soda per gallon of water (or pickle) every 15 min. 5 gallons = 5 tsps. 15 min. apart. well I rushed it a little and now the hides are tearing when I stretch them around the edges or holes. Is that acid shock? ps i looked in the archives but didn't find an answer

Return to Tanning Category Menu

This response submitted by eric on 03/22/2004 at 09:51. ( )

hi cindy
im not following your question. its my understanding your not supposed to add baking soda to the pickel except for dumping it.

shocked at this

This response submitted by Leon on 03/22/2004 at 14:47. ( )

Cindy, i do believe what you are asking is how much baking soda to add to each gallon of fresh water, not to your current batch of pickling solution.

What I do...

This response submitted by Steve A. on 03/22/2004 at 16:45. ( )

I also remember seeing this in a video somewhere. I usually don't worry about it. I just add one oz. of baking soda per gallon of water and soak for a half hour. I haven't had any problems that I know of. I'm willing to listen though.

Maybe I Over Nuetralized

This response submitted by Cindy on 03/27/2004 at 00:18. ( )

the ph I'm supposed to nuetralize to is around 5 or 6. I was adding baking soda 1 tsp. per gallon. It was bringing the ph up too high (about 8). Thanks all for your responses, Cindy

Return to Tanning Category Menu