rehydrating Mountainlion cape

Submitted by Tyler Tipton on 04/04/2004 at 14:20. ( tylertipton@hotmail.com ) 67.40.111.8

I have a lion cape that was salted for two years by another taxidermist before i started doing my own. when i got it back i put it directly in the pickle for about 5 days this didn't soften it up much so I put it direwctly in the tanning solution thinking it would soften with time but no luck i ordered a rehydrating solution but i'm afraid to use it for fear it will slip is there anything i should do before putting it in the wetting solution he hadn't shaved the cape at all so i need to rehydrate it so i can shave it and mount it. this is my own lion and i really dont want to lose it he already lost my buffalo cape becouse it slipped letting the moisture getinto it thanks for your help tyler tipton

Return to Tanning Category Menu

the cape does not rehydrate in the pickle...

This response submitted by . on 04/04/2004 at 14:43. ( . ) 68.162.33.73

hopefully you didn't mess up the cape that bad...you should have rehydrated the cape before the pickle.....why would you skip this step? and with a mt. lion? I think Stop-rot might help.....search the archieves

Return to Tanning Category Menu