breaking deer hides

Submitted by dwayne on 04/13/2004 at 18:12. ( dncontractor@yahoo.com ) 24.93.240.88

how do comercial tanners softin deer hides. i can't believe they break them by hand like i have been doing. thanks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It's in the archives

This response submitted by George on 04/13/2004 at 18:15. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.84

Click on the Beginners icon to the left and scroll down to the bottom. Then click on 2001 and then click September. On Sept. 6, read the posting "Wet tan, dry tan, dry preservative". It tells you how huge drums of sawdust "break" the hides.

Staking Machine

This response submitted by Lonestar on 04/14/2004 at 17:40. ( ) 152.1.151.27

The saw dust drums get the hides 1/2 way there. The staking machine does the real work in breaking the hide for softness. The deer hide is fed onto the machine's belt and pressure is applied to the pedal that raises the belt to the staker. By grasping the hide firmly and working around the hide from the center to the edges, you can stake the hide completely. It is a simple process that is done by an expensive piece of machinery, but a necessary piece if you are a commercial tanner.

Lone Star

This response submitted by oldshaver on 04/19/2004 at 19:59. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 207.69.2.244

I like the name Jack Leg alot better. It seems to suit your limited tanning knowledge. You think that your the only one that can trace an IP address. Speaking of lard, at least I am not as wide as I am tall! 5foot3 x 5foot3 LOL - Me get a life, you spend all of your time bird dogging me! That must make your life really pathetic!

Return to Tanning Category Menu