No Pickle?

Submitted by Wolfe on 04/11/2004 at 08:27. ( ) 12.217.9.230

I just watched a Rinehart video and he did not put the cape in a pickle. He salted it twice and moved on to shaving. If this is acceptable, why not do it this way to save time and money?

I am new to this so go easy on me hahaha

Return to Tanning Category Menu

JRTS

This response submitted by George on 04/11/2004 at 10:35. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.76

JRTS will work just fine without a pickle since the tan itself is stronger than most. HOWEVER, if the hide is in questionable condition, it's always wise to pickle it after salting. I used the method you've described for almost 20 years without a single problem, but all it would take was one hide from some weird animal that had been improperly field treated to spoil it all. I always sent those out to have professionally done, anyway.

double

This response submitted by e on 04/11/2004 at 11:52. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

the pickel is sort of a tan by itself. its actually a double tan. sort of an insurane policy that the job gets done.
picture this.
ananimal gets killed and flatened on the road.
then the winter time salt trucks come by and it gets salted.
then it gets pushed aside. but as birds peck on the hide it gets thrown back onto the road. just in time for the july summer oil trucks.
now, you have a tanned hide. and easy huh? all you do is pick it up.
well. please don't put it on ebay. we have enough trouble with this sort-a thing.
happy easter..!
e

Return to Tanning Category Menu