I know this is an odd question, but . . . .

Submitted by Sharon on 04/20/2004 at 10:21. ( ) 4.136.6.195

I'm having a tummy tuck and I would like to keep and tan the excess skin. Is this possible? I'm in Virginia

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Why Not

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 04/20/2004 at 10:34. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 198.81.26.43

Make some gloves or an umbrella with it. How big are you? Maybe you could hire one of us to make you some lamp shades with little wildlife pictures painted on them? wat do ya think. Sound silly Nah!

SURE!

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 04/20/2004 at 10:35. ( ) 198.81.26.43

It is quite possible. Make sure the Doc puts the excess skin in a doggie bag for you when you leave the office. I think Lutan F would be the way to go as all of your stretch marks will be loose and have extra stretch. However, since you are in Virginia you may want to check with the local laws on tanning your own hide!

Tony!

This response submitted by Jeanette on 04/20/2004 at 10:35. ( ) 198.81.26.43

You beat me to it!

lol...

This response submitted by Sharon on 04/20/2004 at 10:39. ( ) 4.136.6.195

yes, i'm *really* serious, y'all.... and i have no experience with tanning, taxidermy, etc. and i really appreciate help. i've looked in the yellow pages and the only catagory i can find is taxidermists. is that who i'd call?

Lutan F, Jeanette?

Lutan-F

This response submitted by gordon on 04/20/2004 at 10:57. ( ) 198.164.30.19

Lutan-F is the powdered residue and (a tanning agent) of a gas used by the SS in WW11. I believe they were the first to use it as a tanning agent, as there was a lot of the stuff building up.

An so they tanned human skin I am told. Go for it. Sharon, I hope that you are now more cultured into the comments that will pop-up here and those above.

Lutan-F a tanning agent is used presently in tanning and taxidermy applications. It has a direct association with your intended application. Just like it did in WW11. I can see the magazine article on the project now!

I believe taxidermist or tanners willing to undertake this project should charge a fair price and get covered by insurance. Sharon you will make a mint on your tanned belly divet on Howard Stern and others... Glad you talk to us first... But is it legal in your state?

Good luck.

Have the skin frozen!

This response submitted by John C on 04/20/2004 at 11:00. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Well to be honest I have heard of ideas that were a lot more odd.

Have the Dr. freeze it for you, normally they put items such as that in Formalin.

Human hide is a lot like pig skin, but Tony is right it could be used as a lamp shade wit art painted on it.

Just happens that the German National Museum in Nurmburg had several pieces of furniture than one of hitler's hench-men had made from human skin with tattoos. The Germans developed the LUTAN tanning in WWII.

. . . .

This response submitted by Sharon on 04/20/2004 at 11:23. ( ) 4.136.6.195

Thanks, Gordon. yes, i expect some 'odd' replies to a *very* odd question.

So you're saying that i can do this myself? i looked up Lutan on the net and it seems to be what is needed to make the skin soft and supple. but can i do this myself w/o any previoius tanning experience? the sites i looked at mentioned scrapping and other stuff. i've no qualms about tanning it myself. in fact, i think it would be preferable to the probable embarassment i'd encounter with a taxidermist. BUT... would i be able to do an excellent job of it? it's not like i'm going to ever get another chance.

is it legal in VA? i dunno. is it legal anywhere? how would i find out?

Thanks VERY much for this and any furture help.

My friend preserved part of his colon

This response submitted by Steve A. on 04/20/2004 at 14:46. ( ) 216.129.231.7

A hunting pardner of mine saved a large part of his colon that the Doc removed. He shillacked it and hung it on his wall for a while. So I guess there's more than one way to do stupid things.

Legal? Its your skin, I would think you can do with it what

This response submitted by JOhn C on 04/20/2004 at 16:22. ( ) 66.233.157.155

You want. Since its for yourself, dont know if you will auction it later on EBAY?

Turst me in the fact people have ask taxidermist to things that were a lot stranger!

Follow the tanning instructions that have been posted here several times and it should turn out fine.

NOT going their!

This response submitted by MichelleW on 04/20/2004 at 22:15. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.65.55

and now I've heard everything........

If

This response submitted by J. Foxunworthy on 04/21/2004 at 08:18. ( ) 129.43.43.200

If you're are anything like the Sharon I know you'll be able to make a complete set of luggage..."Here's your sign."

Tanning

This response submitted by 1 on 04/21/2004 at 10:02. ( ) 216.144.8.113

Don't use Lutan because eventually you'll see dry rot from your own pelt. Use chrome or a syntan.

I have heard human skin is 10 times stretchier then animal skin, so when you flesh it, be extra, extra careful!

You really should try a raccoon first. They are as fatty as people.

Remember, the belly is the thinnest and most easy to rip, area on any skin!

At least you know it is healthy and prime skin from a domestically raised animal, so at least you are starting out with a good quality pelt.

There was a story on taxinet a while back about some guy in Ohio who had a tanned human skin hanging in his shop for years. The person did not know if the shop or skin still existed. Apparently it was quite the attention getter.

Oh, depending on the color of your epidermis, once you have tanned your pelt, you may need to use skin dye to restore some of the color. Such as, if you are a light fleshy pinkish color, you'll want to restore that color by dyeing the suede side of your pelt so that the dye soaks through and shows, like a pull-up leather, on your grain side.

Seriously, try animals first. Human skin is so rare you just don't want to screw it up.

If

This response submitted by Becky P on 04/21/2004 at 13:04. ( ) 198.81.26.43

the skin meant that much to me, I think I'd just leave it on my body.
But each to their own I guess. I've had my hide "tanned" a few times, but not quite so literally.
If you do it, let us know how it turns out.
Good luck with your surgery and the tanning. BP

Well . . .

This response submitted by Sharon on 04/21/2004 at 17:18. ( ) 4.136.6.230

Thanks, all of ya'll for the suggestions. I am not a hunter and the surgery's next week, so a practice run on some little furry critter's not an option. Had a friend call a taxidermist here and, even tho he thought about it awhile, he delcined. Guess it's not illegal.

I really guess i need a local taxidermist, but am a afraid of the rebuffs i'd get if i called them in person.

Anyone Know anyone in VA that you could find out if they'd be willing?

Thanks for the help.
(thanks Becky for the Good Luck wishes)

Sharon

This response submitted by Fur on 04/21/2004 at 19:22. ( ) 216.144.8.77

Since shipping it across state lines is probably illegal (biohazard) -

What you should just do is get the skin from your doc, then put it in the freezer, just like any other skin. (do not salt before freezing.)

Many taxidermists store their skins and critters for years before they work on them. Practice on animals / critters until you are good. You especially need to do a raccoon pelt and a bobcat belly.
Only then, after you are good, tan your skin.

Just remember, it's just like any other pelt but more fragile and far more rare.
Treat it like a thin mammal skin but don't be afraid to flesh it down, as there will be no hairs on it (they'll shave you before they incise).

You may wish to consider donating the skin to a burn unit. I am sure they will allow this as it is healthy skin from an elective procedure. They can always use skin to help burn or accident victims. That way you are doing something good with your skin besides tanning it.

As a side note, many surgical specimens MUST go to pathology. If it is to be considered as waste, only then can it be given to you. So, your doc may have to classify the excess skin as waste, or else it's off to the path lab and you'll never see it again!

Whoever said the skin was best left on the person's body - that's what the critters all say before they get skinned... har de har har. You should tan it and wear it for that reason alone, be a fake anti!

Online is the best place to ask. The relative anonymity will keep you safer from critics, etc.

Now, Fur

This response submitted by Becky P on 04/22/2004 at 15:43. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I didn't say it was "best" to leave it on the person. I was just thinking that after I went through the pain of surgery, I(personally)wouldn't WANT it around to remind me. That's all, I wasn't critizing. Besides, my son has the staples from when he had surgery hanging on his wall. LOL
BP

WHY NOT?

This response submitted by Toni on 05/04/2004 at 18:44. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I would definately not be embarrassed to call around and ask a pro to do it! But do freeze it to give you time to find someone..dry ice may be the best way..but if you have to put it in your home freezer, be sure to wrap it good so it doesn't get damaged.
Yes...you will definately need to let your doc know of your plans to keep it or else it will just get cremated. I know I had to sign a form for them to discard my placentas from my 3 babies...I know some women keep them...so why not your skin? I have some cool tattoos that I would like preserved and framed after I die and I know many people who have said the same thing, so I don't think what you want is gross or wierd. If I did taxidermy in your area I'd be happy to do it for you! I think it's cool!

Return to Tanning Category Menu