What would be a good recipe to tan a cougar?

Submitted by Wendy on 04/24/2004 at 12:55. ( timwendy@charter.net ) 68.185.0.97

My brother helped his neighbor nab a cougar yesterday that had killed three of his horses... they would like to tan it. Neither has ever done this before. They already skinned the animal (did a very nice job too, took 10+ hours being very careful). We don't have any suppliers of any type of this stuff around in our area and he would like to make his own mixture from common ingredients... any suggestions? How would he actually tan it? They want to keep the hair on and plan to just lay it flat as a decorative bed cover or rug... not mount it. Any help would be great... otherwise they are going to make up their own and I would hate to see them ruin it. The cougar is 7'4" from nose to tail if that matters. Thanks to anyone who is willing to help!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

find a taxidermist or tannery

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 04/24/2004 at 13:41. ( ) 216.108.218.236

Find a reptuable taxidermist near you or send it to a tannery. Tanning is done corectly by methods not recipes. For a good soft tan I would send it out. best of luck to you.

tall tales

This response submitted by thought police on 04/24/2004 at 17:49. ( ) 172.200.191.235

First off, slap you brother or his neighbor or even yourself for making up stories. If a cougar in the United States in this day and age, killed 3 horses, it would be national news. Nice try.

Wow, thought this was a professional type forum...

This response submitted by Wendy on 04/24/2004 at 20:29. ( ) 68.185.0.97

Yes it did kill three horses and 6 sheep... they were minature horses that the man raised... it killed the his horses and drug them to a fence where he could not get them through, the sheep belonged to a neighbor...and it was on all three of our local news stations... Fish and Wildlife even came out and did an "autopsy", you could look at the following site and see the story... http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/0424/local/stories/01local.htm "Nice try", I didn't realize this forum was so lethal. I thought it would be a good source of info... I do appreciate and thank the others that have emailed me and answered in this forum, there are some realistic people in here and I don't hold this one person against those who are for real.

thought police

This response submitted by oldshaver on 04/24/2004 at 21:57. ( ) 207.69.0.135

TP, I think Wendy just tore you a new one. LOL

Wendy

This response submitted by fur on 04/24/2004 at 23:14. ( ) 216.144.8.114

Search the archives, using the orange button.

The EZ-100 large mammal tanning kit will do fine on this lion.

For like $30, you'll get just about the same results as a tannery, only a stiffer skin, no missing claws, and probably no fleshing machine holes or that lovely $200 invoice.

If you have the internet, why would you dally with a local supplier or subpar ingredients? Buy the best.

You can order from Rittel's. (click on the word)

I am sure you'll get it, the kit and the technique, by the time the skin has dried enough to be stored or rehydrated.

Make sure to flesh the inside of all the paw pads.

Don't listen to idiots.

Wendy& Tim

This response submitted by oldshaver on 04/25/2004 at 11:01. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 207.69.3.195

Take that mtn lion skin to your local taxidermist, or you are going to ruin it! If you want to use that skin for some type of a throw rug, you will not be able to get it soft at home, without purchasing equiptment to do the job. I am sure the tanning kit mentioned above would do a fine job, if you had a $1000 fleshing machine to thin the hide, and a sawdust drum to tumble the skin.(another 3 grand plus) When Mr. Fur genius above said stiff, he should have used the word plywood! That is what you are going to get if you try to tan that lion yourself with no experience. By the measurements you gave of the lion, that was to the tip of the tail. From the tip of the nose to the BASE of the tail is how a tannery will measure, and they will charge by the linear foot. A close estimate of your lion is about 5ft or a little less. Most tannerys charge around $20 per ft- little more or less. Where Mr. Genius got $200 is beyond me. Some tanners will tan for the general public and charge a retail mark up, but it wont cost you $200, and you wont be able to drive nails with the head and neck on that lion when you get it back. Best advice, go to the top of the page, click on suppliers, click on tanning services, and start calling or e-mailing them to find the best deal.

I forgot

This response submitted by oldshaver on 04/25/2004 at 11:04. ( ) 207.69.3.195

I forgot the most important part. Best advice besides the search is to take it to your local taxidermist!

Solution found

This response submitted by Wendy on 04/25/2004 at 13:07. ( ) 68.185.0.97

We finally did find a taxidermist nearby. Thanks to all of you for taking the time and giving your suggestions.

Return to Tanning Category Menu