Old Dominion Tannery problems

Submitted by DEERMEISTER on 04/28/2004 at 01:53. ( ) 155.84.101.2

Just wondering if anybody else is having problems and getting the run around from Old Dominion Tannery? Thought I'd try them out with a small shipment.......it's not looking good?!?!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Tannery

This response submitted by Hip-O Taxidermy on 04/28/2004 at 09:18. ( hipo@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.31

I use Old Dominion. I happen to know Marty has had some health problems lately as well as a death in the family, so he's gotten a little behind.

I use them too

This response submitted by Walt on 04/28/2004 at 10:42. ( ) 63.92.148.154

I've never had any problems with them. I understand tanneries get alot of work and get alittle behind at times but don't we all. I'm within driving distance of them and have the luxory of delivering my hides to them in person. Always got curtious A1 service. Hope Martys doing ok.

Had problems too

This response submitted by Tom on 04/29/2004 at 10:20. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I tryed them too, and Some of the hides I got back were not that soft, and thick in spots.My custmers were't happy. I will never use them again.

Problems? Me Too!

This response submitted by TonyM on 05/04/2004 at 10:19. ( ) 67.14.219.165

I send most of my stuff to Carolina Fur, but i sent marty an elk cape in Nov. the day after he told me 6-8 week turnaround. After a month i called him, because I never received confirmation of him receiving my shippment(which he promised would happen) he said they had just not had time. After 3 months I called to find out if the cape was done, was told they would check and call me right back. He never called, so a week later I call him again. Said it would not be long now. After 4 months I called back, Marty handed the phone to an employee, I guess he was just to busy to talk. Was told the cape would be ready soon. After 5 months i called back, again was given to an employee, found out the cape had not even been started yet! I received the cape 2 weeks later after the employee said he would personally take care of it. Was told i would receive free return shipping because of the problems(big deal, I wanted the cape when promised). Then, when i got the cape they didn't even pay the shipping!

We all have problems and delays and family stuff going on, but that does not excuse being dishonest. He should have told me from the first that he was having problems and there would be some delays, I could live with that.

A little off topic for this forum- Looking for source for...

This response submitted by Vince on 05/06/2004 at 01:04. ( vwoodard@comcast.net ) 68.58.95.79

I appologize for the offtopic type of post. I dont know if any of you can help with this or not.
I use to purchase a type of leather from Dominion Tannery called "White Tritan" (not sure if thats the right spelling). It basically was a white chrome tan leather 6-7 oz with a Dupont Quillion coating. Dominion has stopped producing it, and I am in desparate need of a new supplier of this type of leather or a similar product. The leather is very salt/stain/scuff resistant and has a bright white finish to it making it great for Show Bridals for Horses.
If anyone can pass along information on suppliers of heavy weight chrome tanned leather in the U.S. (preferabley) or Canada, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Much,
vwoodard@comcast.net

Return to Tanning Category Menu