Tanned to the tee but still slipping

Submitted by T.C. on 8/1/04 at 1:09 AM. ( tand vcramer@pennswoods.net ) 12.163.91.206

I need a little help here I've been tanning my deer capes with ez-100 and it seems like every hide I tan I get a little slippage back on the shoulder area or lower neck. I'll go through my process and see if you think there are any descrepancies. Split and turn trimming all the heavy fat and meat also fleshing on beam. salt 24 hrs. change salt again. Shake salt off and put in pickle using safee acid and with a ph of 1-2. 48hrs. later I take out and thin the face down andput on fleshing beam and flesh with knife. Place back in pickle for 12 to 24 more hrs. take out of pickle drain water and let hang while I try to wring most of the water out. Neutralize in baking sode for thirty minutes and drain water again. Place hide in tan and soke for 24 hrs. Take out of tan,drain and oil after oil I let hide out for 12 hrs. before I bag it and put in freezer. I know I don't have a mini flesher or fleshing machine which I should purchase in near future. I also have hard well water that is hooked to a softner . Any help would be well appriciated.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Let's go thru it again!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/1/04 at 1:44 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.136

1. Split and turn - remove fat and meat on a Beam.
2. Salt 24 hours.
3. Change Salt - leave another 24-48 hours.
4. Shake off Salt and hang to dry (I think you omitted this one)
5. Rehydrate - Rinse - Pickle (this one too)
6. Pickle for 3 days (I think you cut this way too short)
7. Neutralize in a Baking Soda solution for 30 minutes. Rinse.
8. Tan in your EZ-100 tanning solution for 16-20 hours (NEVER 24 hours or over)
9. Rinse - Drain
10. Oil
11. Fold and sweat the oil in for 3-4 hours or overnight.
12. Hang to dry - mount - or freeze.

Do you wash the cape before you mount it? If you do - particularly using household detergents which are difficult to rinse out - the detergents tend to migrate into the lower shoulder and throat or brisket areas. This will definitely cause slippage in those areas.

slipage

This response submitted by eric on 8/1/04 at 10:16 AM. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

try cutting down your neutralizing time to about 5-6 minutes...
rinse well,
place in tan,
then make up for that cut by checking often and keeping your tan at a 4 ph. by adding ammonia or baking soda water.
i use bruces products and this works for best me.
e

youre going to see differences in opinion now

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 8/1/04 at 12:07 PM. ( ) 66.133.135.25

To be on the safe side, Id stick closer to what Bruce says. I know others will answer based on their experience, but thats a tough one. Safety acid suggests a lower pH.

My advice would be to check that water. I know so many guys who followed all the good and accurate advice but assumed all was well with the water. Just to see if Im on the ball or just all wet, try this. Go to town or municipality and get a few gallons of "city" water, you know, treated town water. Now go back and do your pickle and tan with it. Dont forget to neutralize using it too. Wow, no more slippage, huh? OK, before I get slack from every guy who has well water or a treatment source on there system that doesnt have problems, it varies. Every system and water source is a little different. Maybe its the problem here, maybe not. Ill bet it might be, though.

Bottom line, I KNOW the products youre using work, because Ive used them. I know the procedure does too. So I say its "in the water". Hope that helps.

My guess is your beaming the skin..........

This response submitted by Chris on 8/3/04 at 8:54 AM. ( ) 66.168.129.176

too hard. Notice how you said that the slippage occurs in other areas besides the face. My guess is you are using way to much pressure on the skin, if you need to beam the skin then sharpen your fleshing knife and use more of a cutting motion. I don't neutralize for more than 20 minute. I would bet money though that it is not a neutralizing problem. If it was from over neutralizing then you would have slippage on the naturally thinner skinned areas.

I use a lot of Bruce's products and I have great results with them.

Chris

Be Patient

This response submitted by James Patrick on 9/1/04 at 12:46 AM. ( ) 204.149.80.4

I will be the first to admit, I am not a professional taxidermist, so If I am wrong, someone please correct me. I have done several heads and have also had this happen to me. I am basically preforming the same procedure that you have described. I have found if I leave the mount alone, time cures the problem. Usually within four weeks the hide will dry very hard on the mount thus setting the hair.

I agree with the well water comment

This response submitted by J. Randall on 9/2/04 at 12:45 AM. ( ) 216.176.168.122

I have had trouble using my well water with different kinds of tans / pickles. tried several different ways to lower the pH to the proper levels butthe pH levels rise back up within a few hours. Not trying to push any product but every sence I switched to KrowTann I have had no slipping. even on nasty critters that I would have bet the farm were going to slip. and the well water didn't effect the KrowTann at all.

Best to you and yours.

Return to Tanning Category Menu