Elk cape slipping

Submitted by William on 8/4/04 at 9:54 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.200

Today, I received a elk cape that I had sent off green frozen to be wet tanned. The tannery sent it back to me on monday 2nd day air in the ice chest that I had sent it to them in. It was supposed to be frozen when they sent it. When I oppened the ice chest the cape was completely thawed and warm. I immediately unrolled it and inspected it. I found that the entire cape was warm, and that the back of the ears had began to slip. I poured denatured alcohol over the ears to try and prevent anymore slippage, and rolled it back up and immediately put it in the freezer. I plan on mounting this elk next week any advice would be appreciated to prevent futher slippage.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

William, I'm confused

This response submitted by George on 8/4/04 at 9:59 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

Are you saying that the tannery sent you a hide back that is NOW slipping. True wet tanned hides should have no such problems. I routinely get wet tanned hides back from my tanneries in cardboard boxes inside plastic bags. I guess you could say they're WARM and I've never had any problem with slippage at that stage. Are you sure it got to the tannery in good condition? Can you vouch for proper field care prior to your getting it? If you can, then I'd suggest you look around for another tannery.

don't be confused

This response submitted by William on 8/4/04 at 10:56 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.130

If you put a wet tanned cape, that is wet, and it gets warm in a plastic bag, it will slip. The question was how to prevent futher slippage. Its obvious that I did not make a good choice in tanneries.

hair slipping

This response submitted by Laurier on 8/5/04 at 9:12 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.214

William: warm or wet in 2 days it would not slip.No stoping in now.

This is the reason I do all my own tannig,now you can replace an elk cape, could you imagine,a sable ,lion,
I would never let a tannery touch any of my clients skins 2/3 rds
of our work is from out of the country,I would be doing like 1/2 you guys and replace this and replace that.Tanneries can tan skins
" but they are NOT taxidermist. "

Amen

This response submitted by John on 8/7/04 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 24.174.144.237

Amen to Laurier. I am a home tanner and I already have two taxidermists that will only use my services rather than a so called professional tannery. They have a real bad habit of not taking care of skins. One of the guys sent his skins to advantage fur dressers in Houston and they were ripped to shreds when he got them back and the tannery denied any wrong doing. If you can help it and you have the time, tan your own skins.

Return to Tanning Category Menu