Hot water rehydration?

Submitted by Jim on 8/9/04 at 5:12 PM. ( ) 136.141.2.76

Anybody notice a marked improvement in stretch when rehydrating a tanned cape in hot water? I spoke with folks at the tannery and they reccomended it but I'm a bit uneasy putting my cape in hot water.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Temperature does matter.

This response submitted by David Crookall, SENTRY/Custom Services Corp. on 8/9/04 at 9:14 PM. ( sentry@ptd.net ) 63.74.244.50

The old addage is true. Chemical reactions are governed by Time, Temperature and Concentration. When it comes to rehydration, warmer temps will speed up hydration

Temperature does matter.

This response submitted by David Crookall, SENTRY/Custom Services Corp. on 8/9/04 at 9:27 PM. ( sentry@ptd.net ) 63.74.244.50

The old addage is true. Chemical reactions are governed by Time, Temperature and Concentration. When it comes to rehydration, warmer temps will speed up hydration BUT UNFORTUNATLEY IT WILL ALSO SPEED UP ACTION BY BACTERIA. Tanneries use cooler temperatures and speed up "SOAKING" or rehydration by the use of effective specialty additives. Our SOAKZ-IT™ #553 TC2 is one of those products. It allows you to get quicker rehydration while at the same time using cooler water temps., removing coagulated albumins and dried blood with decreased sulfides or other additives in the soak liquid.

Samples are available by contacting us at the above E-Mail address or calling us at 770-607-9340.

Distributor inquiries are welcomed. SENTRY/Custom Services Corporatio9n

How hot is hot?

This response submitted by David Patton on 8/10/04 at 11:56 AM. ( ) 12.76.241.133

Jim,

Hot water or warm water? If you are staying within the 80 to 85 degree range you should be fine. As you get hotter than 85 degrees you will start to experience problems. For example, around the 90 degree mark sheep skins will shrink and you will get no stretch out of them. Many tanneries use a heating system for initial rehydration, just be careful not to go over the 85 degree mark.

Good Luck,

David

Return to Tanning Category Menu