? On how long was dried

Submitted by R Nielsen on 8/16/04 at 10:00 PM. ( ) 207.170.26.85

I recieved a white tail cape from a gentleman that was already salt dried. I asked how long its been dried he said 1, maybe 2 years. I have never dried anything for that long.I Think it looks good (fleshed, ears turned, eyes and lips split, very pro job)My question is, is the cape usable? He said he really likes the color and would like it finished!Any advise would be useful. Thank you in advance

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Should be

This response submitted by George on 8/16/04 at 10:26 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.77

Send it to the tannery just like it is or rehydrate it and tan it yourself.

George is right

This response submitted by Jim Burnside on 8/17/04 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 68.135.144.15

George is right . I have some deer capes and a bobcat and silver fox that I have salt dried flint hard ,some of them have been this way for nearly 5 years . This saves freezer space , as I have an old attic in my shop that I hang them in . I have mounted African capes that had been salt dried for quite a period . Just rehydrate in Relaxer , pickle and tan if you plan on doing it in house . This works for me others may not agree ..

Return to Tanning Category Menu