possible to soft tan after using cream tan?

Submitted by jeff on 8/20/04 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.171

i was wondering if you could soft tan a hide after using rhineharts cream tan with their rug softening oil? has anybody done this? this would be my first time trying to soft tan. im also assuming the hide must go into the pickle because it would be soft tanned. please share your experience on this. thanks alot.-jeff

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Personally?

This response submitted by George on 8/20/04 at 4:55 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

Though all cream tans (even Liqui-Tan) say this is possible, I send all my soft tan needs to professionals. A topical tan (paint ons are all topical) you really take the chance of insufficient penetration. Then the hide has to be broken manually and there's where all the fun goes away. It's cheaper in the long run to have them professionally done.

man....

This response submitted by jeff on 8/20/04 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.124

i am wanting to soft tan it myself because it is only one hide, in that it would cost me around $50 to get it soft tanned. i am not really busy at all with taxidermy work right now so even doing it manually does not bother me cause i have a lot of time on my hands right now.

Jeff, then by all means, go for it

This response submitted by George on 8/21/04 at 9:20 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

But I'd recommend that you pickled the hide on this one. I seldom pickle hides when using JRTS (only the questionable ones). They advertise it being done, I just said PERSONALLY, I wouldn't.

soft tans

This response submitted by Linda C. on 8/21/04 at 10:32 AM. ( ) 64.33.183.97

Go for it.I had a customer that wanted the back half of his yearling deer soft tanned and thought I'd try it.Was using Rittels kwik and easy and as George said be sure to pickle first.Came out buttery soft with very little breaking.

Return to Tanning Category Menu