Why did it slip?

Submitted by Mandy on 8/20/04 at 8:00 PM. ( hugabaloou@aol.com ) 137.229.183.156

I posted a message on another part of the forum awhile back. I had purchased a large marmot from the lower 48. When I paid the guy, I asked him to please turn everything, salt, and dry it. When I received it, there were still feet in the pelt. I was kind of angry, as I had delt with people leaving feet in my hides before, and they didn't turn out. Besides the feet being in there, it was nice, dry, and stiff. The "salt" that the guy used was very fine, and at first I didn't think it was salt. Anyway, I put the fur immediately in the freezer as soon as I received it. Later, I took it into the tannery. When they mentioned how much it would cost for THEM to take all of the feet out, I quickly reconsidered doing it myself. I brought it back home, took it out of the baggie it was frozen with, and left it out on my floor for about a week. I read on here how to rehydrate a salt-dried fur to remove feet and do other work to the hide. I put it in a very heavily salted water brine for about a day. When I went to do the feet, they were still kind of stiff, but they came out without too much hassle. Then, the flesh side of the pelt was kind of greasy-feeling so I washed it out in the sink with some soapy water and the thing started slipping on me! Was the skin bad in the first place? Please let me know what I could have done differently to keep this from happening again!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Personally, I think you both bear some fault here

This response submitted by George on 8/20/04 at 8:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

The shipper definitely should have removed the feet first as salt will not penetrate that kind of mass. BUT, you laying it "on the floor for a week" surely didn't help it any. The day in the salt brine and the washing also added insult to injury. But it was all initiated by the seller when he didn't produce what he advertised.

It was still a raw pelt...

This response submitted by LT on 8/20/04 at 10:51 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.226

I'm guessing if it had only been salted(not tanned or pickeled),and the humidity is high in your area it probably re-hydrated itself while laying on the floor for a week,then bacteria had thier way with it.I would have dropped it in a strong pickel solution as soon as I got it then started getting the rest of the meat out of the feet.Then tanned it.

this is the problem

This response submitted by Laurier on 8/21/04 at 9:43 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.83

Mandy: next time you get a skin in like that,re-hydrate it in your PICKELING your salt brin is the same as the tanneries way and this is why you got hair slip.

hot water?

This response submitted by Jordan on 8/28/04 at 3:03 PM. ( jordang1@mindspring.com ) 68.100.220.5

If the soapy water was very warm or hot,that is what it was.Many people[including myself]have had a dirty greasy hide so they wash it with hot soapy water to cut the grease.There is no better way to get hair to slip than to do this.

Return to Tanning Category Menu