Need help quick

Submitted by Earl on 8/25/04 at 4:00 PM. ( 1taxidermist7@sbcglobal.net ) 4.245.52.249

i have run out of freezer space and i was wondering if i can dry some wet tanned skins on a rack, then rehydrate them when i need them, i used syn-oil tan on them. please let me know asap. thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Earl, most of us won't touch this one

This response submitted by George on 8/25/04 at 7:45 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 149.174.164.11

Unless we used syn-tan, it's an iffy proposition for us to give you a blanket "it'll be fine" answer. I'd tell you it's either time to buy another freezer or stop taking deer in as you have enough already.

But I DO have a question for you. How in this world did you "run out of freezer space" this time of year already? Are you in one of the southern states where deer season starts Aug. 15? And remember, you don't make a penny with your freezers FULL. It's only when they are EMPTY that it pays the bills.

yes you can!

This response submitted by Ralph on 8/25/04 at 7:48 PM. ( rbgtaxidermy@msn.com ) 64.70.24.171

Yes you can dry them out. I have seen some tanners do that to save money on shipping costs.

I agree with Ralph

This response submitted by John on 8/25/04 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 24.174.144.237

I have to agree with Ralph. Just hang them up and let them dry. Be sure to rehydrate them in brine water. If you don't believe me ask Mr. Rittel. He is by far the best person to ask about this subject. I have never had a problem letting skins dry completely. Email Bruce Rittel and ask him for his re-hydration recipe.

They will be ok, but a little stiff

This response submitted by Mike on 8/26/04 at 3:27 AM. ( Artbymikel@hotmail.com ) 66.82.9.12

Hi Earl,
We will sometimes dry our wet tanned skins for customers. Mostly when they want them shipped towards the end of the week or to save on shipping. The only difference is when we drum a skin dry it has been oiled, staked or broken after a few days of drying in between. Your air dried skin will be stiffer than if it were drummed dry. Be sure to check it for mildew if you are in a high humidity area as it dries. Hang them skin side up. Hand break it as it dries (over a wooden beam would be fine) Just stay with the skin and work it over a few days while drying. It should be fine to store then. We rehydrate with a little salt in the soak. Hope this helps.
Mike

Return to Tanning Category Menu