Tanning a Coyote.

Submitted by David on 9/15/04 at 4:56 PM. ( ) 216.105.193.192

I am using the Lutan F Tanning kit from Van Dykes.I am trying to tan a coyote. This is my firts attempt at tanning. Can anyone tell me what the most common mistakes are that I need to avoid? THanks
David

Return to Tanning Category Menu

David

This response submitted by Jordan on 9/15/04 at 6:00 PM. ( jordang1@mindspring.com ) 68.100.184.51

The thing I did wrong on my first couple hides was not doing a thorough fleshing job.Dont keep telling yourself throughout the tanning process that youl have a chance to get the rest of that membrane and meat off later.make sure you flesh the crap off that hide from the very beggining.I recomend shaving the hide down a bit during the pickle.Test the ph levels too.Its a good idea to heat the oil to as warm as your hand can take when your oiling and finishing.If your going to mount the skin,I dont realy think you should work it over a staking beam or anything, as that seems to stretch the skin out in weird ways sometimes.If its going to be a rug or wall hanging or something,you can work the skin all you want over a staking beam,and it will make the skin softer.Also,dont get too carried away when your fleshing and shaving the hide,or you will expose hair roots and the hair will fall out.Same goes for working over a staking beam.Coyote skin is fairly thin so just thin the skin down untill it is clean and membrane free.If you dont feel comfortable shaving an already thin type of skin down,you could omit the shaving and then sand the flesh side before oiling.The secret to good tanning is doing every step thorougly and not slacking at all.that means even when your exhausted you still need to do every single step thoroughly.I can not stress that enough.Good luck David!

Thanks

This response submitted by David on 9/15/04 at 6:26 PM. ( ) 216.105.193.192

I do not have a shaver or or a PH tester. I did not know I needed these until I got the kit. I am ordering them now. I currently have the hide fleshed and salted. Should I put it in a freezer until I get this stuff?
thanks
David

David

This response submitted by Coyote on 9/15/04 at 7:30 PM. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.89.168

No need to freeze a salted hide. It won't freeze being salted. Salt will dissolve ice, that's why they salt the roads in the northern states. Just let the hide drain of it's liquid, then after it hard, rehydrate, then go into your pickling.

Coyote

david

This response submitted by Jordan on 9/15/04 at 8:09 PM. ( ) 68.100.184.51

I agree with coyote.Make sure you dont spare the salt.If you can, keep the hide laid out flat at an incline to drain.I dont recomend rolling the hide up as it seems to keep the moisture in and the bugs realy like it.Did you get a skife knife from Van Dykes as a shaver?

Return to Tanning Category Menu