Outsider: I need wastewaters from tanning ops

Submitted by Gaby on 9/16/04 at 12:03 PM. ( gcdotro@memphis.edu ) 141.225.166.174

Hi, I'm a grad student in Memphis and I need to obtain some wastewaters from a tannery in the area. The wastewater has to have chromium in it, as I am researching a cheap and effective way to treat chromium containing effluents. Can anyone help me?
THANKS!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

go to the home page....

This response submitted by Griz on 9/16/04 at 1:08 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.153

and at the top it will have a link to suppliers - then click on wholesale tanning and it will list quite a few tanneries. Or you could make your own 'wastewater' by just buying a chromium tanning solution.

Uh, I'm missing something here

This response submitted by George on 9/16/04 at 4:03 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.131

You're a grad student and you're looking for waste water containing chromium? UH, what part of EPA don't you understand? Taxidermy tanning seldom uses chromium tan as it's used mostly by the garment (i.e. shoes) industry. Any waste water from such a process would have to be carefully control, filtered and recycled before it could be released into the environment today.

Gaby

This response submitted by oldshaver on 9/16/04 at 8:01 PM. ( ) 207.69.4.119

Gaby, If you can figure out a cost effective recovery system for recovering chrome, you will probablly do very well financially. Very few comercial leather tanneries use only a chrome tan anymore. They use a combination of tans, to cut down on chrome usage. A small ammount of chrome is used in the last step to give the leather a high shrink temp{over 100 deg celcius}. George is right, no one in this forum will be using chrome. It is not a good tan for taxidermy purposes- not much stretch. To make a long story short, try calling these people, they tan ostrich, and I know they use a chrome tan. Hope you do it! Specialty Leather Processors
2135 Industrial Park Rd
Boone, IA 50036
(515) 433-0176

thanks

This response submitted by gaby on 9/17/04 at 11:00 AM. ( ) 141.225.166.174

thanks for the contact info (and support), oldshaver.
And thanks for the tip, Griz!

hmm

This response submitted by - on 9/19/04 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.52

Personally to me what it sounds like is a "watchdog" looking for some "prey".

What university? What grad major? How far along into grad school are you?

That's because most studies at the graduate level are championed by an advisor or team, and this advisor or team will give the grad most if not all of the "leads" they need.

If you use chrome, 'clean up' before you send this guy samples... !

I'm out to get anyone, RELAX

This response submitted by Gaby Dotro on 9/20/04 at 3:00 PM. ( gcdotro@memphis.edu ) 141.225.167.68

Hey...Above is my email adress. I am a graduate student at the university of memphis, in the civil (environmental) engineering department. I am just starting my PhD and my advisor doesn't have a contact in the tanning industry (that would be so much easier!).
If anyone could have given me the wastewater that I needed, I would have given that someone a letter with letterhead from the university, explaining the purpose of my research and the use the water would get. In addition, I will also explain how the water would be disposed of after treatment.
I'm sorry if I made you suspicious, I just wanted to get to the point in the message and thus provided little detail. If you have any more questions, email me and I'll gladly respond.
Sincerely,
Gaby

Return to Tanning Category Menu