WT Cape Thickness

Submitted by Marc A on 9/16/04 at 3:20 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

Is there a differance in the thickness of deer hides, say Texas Deer vs. deer from colder climate, or is it more an individual thing. Iv'e done a few Texas deer and they seem to cut thru easier. May be my imagination ?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

yeah

This response submitted by neal wright on 9/16/04 at 4:13 PM. ( nandbtaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 192.208.130.130

Are you serious? Yes there is a difference. Age, nutrition, season, and a number of other factors can influence this.

All different thicknesses

This response submitted by Evelyn Mills on 9/16/04 at 5:49 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.83

I had them from paperthin nearly like tissue paper to so thick that I thought I was skinning an axisdeer. Like Neal stated it all has to do with the age of the deer, nutrition, distribution wether northern deer or southern deer, time of year (summer in general is thinner hides then in winter)etc.

You will come to find out over time that deer come in all kinds of shapes and sizes and colors for that matter. Thins hides, thick hides, melanistic, albino, piebold, antlered does, stags, huge necks with little heads, huge heads with little necks, etc.

Return to Tanning Category Menu