Pickling in Auto-Tanner?

Submitted by Adam on 9/20/04 at 7:19 AM. ( amctaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 24.158.244.37

I have used my Auto-Tanner with both the crystals that come with the machine and Krowtann with VERY good results. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever mixed up a pickle (such as Saftee Acid) and put their skins in the tank with a pickle only? The reason I ask this is because I want to do a few capes with Liqua Tan. I was just curious as to if the tank would "speed pickle" the capes like it tans them? Anyone ever try it? How were the results?

Or should I just forget about it and go back to pickling the old way?

Thanks!

-A

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Formic Pickle

This response submitted by Pirate on 9/20/04 at 9:01 AM. ( ) 151.196.98.42

I use the auto tanner with a formic acid pickle. I then use McKenzie tan. It does speed up the pickle process. I'm not exactly sure how much because I always leave mine in longer then necessary. I'm sure it will depend on how many you do at once and what types of hides.

pickle for autotanner

This response submitted by Mark on 9/21/04 at 10:24 PM. ( mtmmvruno@lakeland.ws ) 64.33.152.6

I saw awhile back I think it was in Noonkester Supply catalog a pickle formula for using safetee acid in the autotanner. If you e-mail Bruce Rittel he would surely give you the directions.Rittel@mindspring.com. I have used both formic acid and safetee acid in the machine with good results. It does speed up the process by days, Mark

Return to Tanning Category Menu