some Q's on best squirrel tan and painted duck heads, etc

Submitted by matt on 9/20/04 at 8:12 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.81

1- was wondering if it is better to tan a squirrel for mounting using Rittel's EZ100 or dry preserve. looked in the archives but have gotten mixed results. i would just like to know which one is the better of the two.
2- was wondering if anyone has ever used the painted duck heads by joe ferebee? i am getting in a few wood ducks and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use them-personally in the catalogs they look good to me does anyone use these and for any specific ducks?
3- lately i have been tanning hides but right after i skin them out i degrease them and wash them up, then i spin dry and tumble dry then salt them immediately before proceeding to the tanning process. does anyone else do this, so far no problems, however, is this still a good idea to keep doing. thats all, thanks folks.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Matt

This response submitted by Jordan on 9/20/04 at 8:21 PM. ( ) 68.100.184.51

I always just use dry preservative for squirrels.Not borax,dry preservative.

i thought dry preservative was borax

This response submitted by matt on 9/20/04 at 8:48 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.81

really? theres that much of a difference between the two?

matt

This response submitted by Jordan on 9/21/04 at 6:53 AM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

You can use borax as a dry preservative,but the dry presevative that I use is borax free.Van Dykes sells a borax free dry preservative.I think its just called dry preserve.

Matt

This response submitted by Jordan on 9/21/04 at 6:55 AM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

Its called instant preserve.

yeah i saw it in the catalog

This response submitted by matt on 9/21/04 at 7:31 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.77

i saw it in the catalog. maybe i will give it a try. just hesitant because ive heard people having problems with hair slippage with dry preserve, but they never mentioned about tightening up the squirrel in denatured alcohol first which is what you should do when using dry preserve. hell thinking about it what does it matter if its borax free- i dont know not really convinced that dry preserve and borax are that different?

Matt

This response submitted by Marc A on 9/22/04 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

I use DP on all my squirrels with good results. I have also used Ferebees painted duck head. Other than feeling like a cheeter, they work great. I only use them on woodies and Pintails. I paint the others myself.

Return to Tanning Category Menu