PH Levels

Submitted by Nate on 9/24/04 at 11:03 AM. ( nwilling@bestlights.com ) 68.21.61.46

Just last night I put a grey fox skin in a pickling solution per the EZ tan instructions. The PH was fine when the put the fox in between 1-2. This morning I checked the PH and it was between 4-5. The instructions say to keep it under 2. I added some acid to get it back below 2. Did the PH between 4-5 overnight do any damage to skin ?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

it should be fine

This response submitted by John W. on 9/24/04 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 12.215.63.29

Nate,it should be fine ,thats why you should check the ph level everyday,I use safety acid,not that any of the other acids aren't any good ,but my pickles almost never vary from a 1-2,but I do check it daily,I'm assuming maybe you used citric acid?Its a fine product but sometimes you do have to adjust the ph.

Safetee Acid

This response submitted by John on 9/24/04 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 24.174.154.52

I only use safetee acid for that reason. I check the PH before the skins go in and again an hour or so after the skins were put in. I have used many other acids and always had to adjust the PH. Safetee Acid is extremely stable and I have not had to adjust it at all even after a couple of weeks of pickling. I try not to pickle for two weeks but sometimes I just can't to them.

Reasons

This response submitted by KB on 9/24/04 at 5:33 PM. ( ) 68.92.114.189

There may be obvious reasons for your jump in pH. There may have been some type of base on the skin itself. Maybe borax or some type of soap. Both will register as a base. Did you use borax to skin the fox. Did you prewash the fox in soap or lysol solution? Salt acts as a buffer to keep the acid stable. Did you use the proper amounts of salt. Many salts have impurities in them them that may drive your pH up. Good Luck on figuring out your pH problems. Check the search button for pH and see what comes up. As stated, your skin should be fine, if the heat was not out of control.

Return to Tanning Category Menu