follow up to hair slippage

Submitted by Scott Moore on 11/9/04 at 9:27 PM. ( duckslayer@metrocast.net ) 65.175.163.94

First of all, thank for the replies I received. My next question in follow up is, being the hide was already tanned and partly dried before putting it in the freezer, do I use the stop rot before rehydrating? I'm assuming its a liquid and not a powder, do I try to put it on both sides of the hide? Thanks again.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Stop rot isn't needed now

This response submitted by George on 11/9/04 at 9:41 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.130

As the name implies, it's intended to help you out with questionable hides or hides subject to bacterial growth. A tanned hide is well past that stage and doesn't need anything except some warm water and a little Downey or some other surficant.

George is right again

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/9/04 at 10:40 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.237

Stop-rot is used upfront at the skinning and fleshing stages of the cape. Also a cape fresh out of a tan or pickle is delicate and if handled roughly, you can pull out chunks of hair in wads if not careful, thinking that it is slip. When taxi-ing (sp) the cape on the manikin, use the pitchforks they make for that purpose, never push or pull with you're fingers, this will remove the hair in bunches, very scary.

Return to Tanning Category Menu