differing directions for lutan f

Submitted by Scott Moore on 11/9/04 at 10:25 PM. ( duckslayer@metrocast.net ) 65.175.163.94

I have been reading a lot of the recent postings trying to figure out if the reason my customers deer cape slipped was due to factors before I received it or something I did. I followed the directions that came with my lutan f, which were provided by Van Dykes. I noticed that someone else posted directions from WASCO on another posting. There are some differences between them. For example the pickle time is a minimum of 72 hrs from Van Dykes and only about 27 hrs. from WASCO. Also, the time for lutan f is shown as 16-18 hrs. for deer in Van Dykes and with WASCO they show 48 hrs. Someone help me out here. Thank you again.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Knoblochs

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/9/04 at 10:29 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.237

Go to Knoblochs web site, they make the Lutan f. I use the Lutan f and I think they say 18/24 hours. /www.knoblochs.com

Time in Lutan F

This response submitted by John on 11/9/04 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

DO NOT LEAVE IN THE LUTAN F OVER 24 HRS. PICKLE FOR AT LEAST 72 HRS. FOLLOW THE Van Dykes INSTRUCTIONS BECAUSE THEY FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATION. LOOK UP BASF ON LINE AND CHECK FOR YOURSELF. I DID BECAUSE OF THE SAME BS FROM WASCO.

Mr T

This response submitted by John on 11/9/04 at 10:58 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

Knoblochs does not make Lutan F

Pickle time relevent to skin thickness.

This response submitted by John C on 11/9/04 at 11:32 PM. ( use KISS for your guidence ) 70.178.74.104

Pickle time can be as fast as hours, the point is to check and see the skin is nolonger pink.

This is why you thin the hide. It allows the pickle to penetrate.

The inportant part of any tanning solution it not to over tan as that will stop the stretch.

Split, turn and salt the cape. keeping body fluids from POOLING!

Pickle at a pH of 2.0
Shave, repickle at 2.0

Neutrailze to a pH of 5.0 to 5.5. This is the pH lutan is used at.

After about 4-6 hours check the tan, if you have shaved the hide correctly 4 hours its tanned.

Drain drip dry and oil.

Freeze or mount, yea you cannnn dry it but why?

Listen to Van Dyke

This response submitted by Steve on 11/18/04 at 5:57 PM. ( ) 216.129.231.7

I've done it both ways, and they both seem to work. 18 hours would be plenty in the tanning solution though. When I first started I followed WASCO's directions and left capes in the tanning solution for 48 hours and they still turned out okay. I'd say 48 hours is about twice as long as needed though. As far as the pickle times it shouldn't matter how long you keep them in as long as you monitor the PH and make sure they are in long enough for the pickle to completely penetrate into the skin. The extra time may be good for the pickle solution, but not so good for the tanning solution. I've heard the skin can become rubbery if left in the tan too long. I posted earlier wondering about these different directions. I don't know why WASCO doesn't change them.

I've also noticed a difference in the amount of Lutan F used from place to place. Van Dykes recommends using more of it than does WASCO. Again I've done it both ways and can't see a difference in product....Steve

Return to Tanning Category Menu