Need suggestions for tanning case-skinned furs.

Submitted by Taylor on 11/10/04 at 9:11 PM. ( ctaylor@swnebr.net ) 69.2.9.23

I have several skunk, opossum, raccoon and coyote case-skinned furs that I would like to tan. I am hoping for soft pliable skins that can be used as education specimans and to be displayed on a wall. I have seen several methods/recipes for tanning and I am unsure on which one to use. Thanks for any info.

Taylor

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Rittels

This response submitted by John on 11/10/04 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

For the best results as a beginner I would go woth Rittels EZ 100 tanning kits. They are very inexpensive and fairly easy to use. The kits come with complete instructions. The skins will also be suitable for garment use.

(soft tan) it is not so much the method of tanning

This response submitted by Gordon on 11/11/04 at 9:59 AM. ( ) 67.140.204.237

Most modern tanning methods when follow as per instructions will yield good tans. If you what pliable fur, a fur drum is a must, or lots and lots of elbow grease breaking skins.. and even then they will not approach softness via drumming.

Breaking

This response submitted by John on 11/13/04 at 4:39 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I found that when I used Rittels tanning kit that I really didn't have to break the skin very much to get it soft. Although the sawdust tumbler I built makes them much softer. A tumbler is most certainly a must for large skins. I would also suggest doing alot of research and reading on tanning.

Return to Tanning Category Menu