degresing black bear after auto tanner

Submitted by Randy on 11/11/04 at 8:03 PM. ( jtaxidermy@msn.com ) 65.150.236.78

I degraese with dawn dish soap befor I put it in the tanner,after tanning and shaving it still seems to be a little grease.What can I use after tanning that will cut the grease after tanning,also I used Van,Dykes tanning crystals if that sould make a difference.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

bears

This response submitted by mike d on 11/11/04 at 8:10 PM. ( ) 68.116.64.111

I degrease after beaming, place in autotanner for 3 hours, shave,and then degrease again!
Finish in autotanner.
The first degreasing removes a lot of dirt from the hair and surface oils released by beaming; wash vigorously!
The second degreasing cleans out the cell structure opened up by shaving, use hot tap water both times for best results.
The second time only takes five minutes, the first usually takes 15.

I prefer Rittels super solvent; it works!

Hot Water?

This response submitted by Crystal on 11/11/04 at 11:27 PM. ( ) 66.190.126.145

Hi just a thought i was reading all the imputs for today and this one caught my attention. You say to use hot tap water but I was always taold to use cool water on a hide no matter what. Was I mis informed? Please tell me it would make the degreasing process a whole lot easier.. Thank You

guys

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/11/04 at 11:35 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.245

Please dont let anyone tell you that you can degrease a bear with Dawn detergent. Degrease first, then tan. Use a solvent like Rittels, for instance, and thats after shaving.

Hot water!

This response submitted by mike d on 11/11/04 at 11:42 PM. ( ) 68.116.64.111

Yes you can use hot water, if you do it correctly!
My shop water heater isn't set as high as the house; it's about as hot as I can put my hand in and keep it there without cussing.
Don't use hot water on stinky hides! A little common sense here!
Soaks are kept short, and followed by cold water rinses, or straight into the ALUM tan (I don't know about other tans, but I know what I use!)

On this line of thought, if you never have, try hot water on your birds!
Hot water with super solvent (twice with waterfowl, change the water for the second wash) then a cold water rinse, then white gas.
Don't leave in hot water for more than 5 minutes each time
Cold water rinses out the degreaser and puts the skids on bacterial growth, short term; then forcing out the water with white gas soak slows bacterial growth also; no water means its tougher for them to survive.
You will not believe how well the feathers puff up when they are REALLY clean.

Wash in cold water first!

This response submitted by drake on 11/12/04 at 10:04 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.226

If you begin washing a dirty hide in warm water, blood stains will set. Wash in cold water first to remove any and all blood; then you can use the warm water to remove any grease. Think about washing clothes with blood on them...cold water removes the blood, same principle here.

Return to Tanning Category Menu