Hair coming out after tanning

Submitted by KennyC on 11/25/04 at 8:56 AM. ( csp@pa.net ) 216.127.145.30

I have only done about a dozen game heads, so if the answer to this is obvious, I apologize. I didn't see any similar posts by searching the orange button.

I had a half-dozen capes done at a tannery that are supposed to be liqua-tanned. When I took two mule deer capes out of the box when I received them and put them in to wash with Kemmal-4, as suggested by the tannery, patches of hair began to fall out. I thought this was bad luck and moved on, replacing those capes. I put the rest of the capes in the freezer immediately after receiving them. I then thawed out a coyote for a pedestal overnight. Before I washed it I started to test-fit to the form. Bunches of hair bagan pulling out wherever I touched it. I am not pulling hard. I am pulling on the inside, not even aggressively.

I called where I had the tannning done to question when I had the problems with the mule deer, and they blew me off, saying nothing is guaranteed in tanning. I have since had hides tanned at another tannery and have had no problems.

Could I be doing something wrong? I left the capes sit out for about six hours to thaw before handling them. Do they need treated somehow before handling? I have done liqua-tan myself and not had these problems.

Thanks for your time.

KennyC

Return to Tanning Category Menu

I've Never Heard........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/25/04 at 9:46 AM. ( ) 216.148.246.90

......Of a commercial tanner using "liqua-tan". Where did you have them tanned? That might explain everything!

Hair coming out...

This response submitted by KennyC on 11/25/04 at 11:49 AM. ( csp@pa.net ) 66.59.104.40

I don't want to get in trouble or get sued, but it was in Illinios, a very, very "small" tannery that advertises I think in both Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today. They had good references, but when I told them about the trouble they were very evasive.

I have had good results with Keystone Fur Dressing, and they also offer a liqua-tan, however the two orders I have had them do were for a regular wet-tan.

I just thought if a hide was going to slip like this it would happen immediately when it was tanned, not after.

micro tan?

This response submitted by brice on 11/28/04 at 12:10 PM. ( fallflight@ussonet.net ) 65.114.92.155

just a guess. but after all the trouble i had with them last year, it is my first guess.

if that is the case, good luck getting anywhere with them. if you want more info, just search for micro tan and you will probably find the thread that was on here a month or two ago. if you cant find it, e-mail me and ill explain.

Return to Tanning Category Menu