pH defined...

Submitted by cyclone on 11/17/04 at 1:37 PM. ( ) 129.43.43.200

For more on pH....

Try this web site ...http://www.acid-base.com/ph.ssi

or...http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/acidbase/faq/what-is-pH.shtml

It is defined as the negative common logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions [H+] in moles/litre: pH = -log10 [H+]. The letters of its name are derived from the absolute value of the power (p) of the hydrogen ion concentration (H).

It doesn't mean "potential" ...the symbol "p" is a mathematical function meaning: "the negative of the logarithm of a number".....

"Misconceptions about pH "limits". As students we often pick up the misconception that the pH scale has absolute limits, e.g., 0 - 14, partly from our inadequate textbooks and partly because pH meters commonly span this range. However, such limits would imply that it is impossible to have a hydrogen ion concentration greater than 1 mol/L or less than .01 picoMol/L. Think of concentrated sulfuric acid, for example. It is approximately 18 mol/L which corresponds to a negative pH, -1.25. Similarly concentrated base solutions can easily have extremely low hydrogen ion concentrations, corresponding to pHs above 14. The pH playground here is constructed to work over a convenient, but limited, range. Its purpose is to breed familiarity with pH, not illustrate extremes of range."

or pick up any chemistry book....

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Nice try Cyclone

This response submitted by George on 11/17/04 at 3:04 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.130

But you're speaking about rocket science and God knows, taxidermists aren't rocket scientists. The pH scale for COMMON PRODUCTS range for 0-14 without inference to "concentrations". Don't make this any more confusing that it already is for some people. Too much information is never a good thing when it foregoes the intent of the basic problems involved. For TAXIDERMY PURPOSES there is no negative pH. For tanneries, certainly, I'd hope the attend to the concentrations of the acids and I'd want questionable hides in "hotter" concentrations than a good, stable hide. I see this discussion having no purpose to the 90% of us single person operations tanning out of 5 gallon buckets and bathtubs. Use the litmus paper, read the corresponding colors and adjust accordingly. Short, sweet, simple and most of all, EFFECTIVE.

Good post Cyclone

This response submitted by Raven on 11/17/04 at 5:54 PM. ( ) 24.150.199.145

Im on the other end of the spectrum from George and think that extra info likes yours is long overdue. There's already enough info in the arcvhives, and booklets and videos that cover the basics. The basics are just that - basic. There's lots of basic info about skull cleaning in there too. Put out really HIGH end info for the brainy ones amongst us and then let people chose which info best suits their needs. If I ever get around to doing my bone prep book book you can sure as hell there is going to be a LOT of very technical stuff in it. I suspected it will lose a lot of people in it's scope. Thats fine - it's not for them I am writing it. I am writing it for people who want to go to that next level of what skull and bone work CAN be... not the basic ways it's been done for 30 years where people think they are getting quality results just because a bone comes out white.

So again - Good job on the post Cyclone! Put that extra info out there for the ones who want to increase their knowledge... if people don't wanna learn it - thats their choice - but now they have an option =)

Amen to George

This response submitted by John on 11/17/04 at 6:40 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I don't really care to know all the other crap about the PH. It's kinda like my computer. I don't give a crap how it works I am just happy it works and if it breaks I hire an expert to fix it while I tan hides and do taxidermy work.

George and John are right

This response submitted by oldshaver on 11/17/04 at 8:31 PM. ( ) 207.69.13.14

All this high tech jargan is a little overkill, in my opinion. There are a few on here that like this though, so let em have fun.

George....

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/18/04 at 12:53 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.100.131

is just mad because he couldn't send him to the search button. I sure wish they would start a forum where MEAN people weren't allowed and everything was candy coated!(LMAO) And Cyclone, it sounds like you and Glen Conley would get along real well. Your intellect is refreshing. Peace- Jeff F.

Ph

This response submitted by J on 11/18/04 at 10:19 AM. ( ) 66.249.36.43

you are all right however i think it would help you to know the logarithm in simple terms means ,with 7.0 being neutral 9.0 is two times as alkline as 8.0 and 5.0 is two times as acid as 6.0 this explains why it takes so much more formic to reduce Ph from 3.o to 2.0 than it does from 5.0 to 4.0. hope thus helps

Ph does not give levels of concentration!

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 11/18/04 at 11:00 AM. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.13

Be aware that PH will only tell the degree of acidity or alkalinity, but not its concentration level. For instance a strong acid with a PH of 1 will give the same readings at either a 100% concentration or a 1% concentration.

Oh good lord.....

This response submitted by cyclone on 11/25/04 at 6:55 PM. ( ) 67.208.122.154

1. pH is the proper way to write the term...small case 'p' upper case 'H'.

2. pH is most certainly concentration dependent.

3. A pH change of 1 either way is a TEN fold change in the hydrogen ion concentration of a solution.

4. Geo...I'm not even going to try to sort through that post...I didn't realize that I was addressing you anyhow...

I meerly gave the formula and an explaination of pH and attempted to clear up a few misconception along the way...not ps-ing vinegar....

Vinegar....acetic acid...now there's an interesting acid...

Return to Tanning Category Menu