any help would be great

Submitted by dan on 11/26/04 at 3:40 PM. ( ) 207.40.83.118

hi there, i would like to start tanning a few raccoon skins also a few other skins like rabbit and squirrel and i was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me instructions how to tan.. and stuff i would need, right now all the skins are stretched and dried but i have no clue how to tan them with a good tanning solution that holds up.. soft or hard does not matter becuase i could always sand them and beat tem across a beam untill they are soft. just need someone to give me a good tanning instructions and ingrediants anyhelp will be great like to finish before christmas because they are presents for my family..

post here and i will check back thanks and good bless america and all you taxidermist

Return to Tanning Category Menu

KROWTAN 2000

This response submitted by STEVE on 11/26/04 at 4:43 PM. ( ) 66.143.235.110

Go to www.Van Dykestaxidermy.com and look for krowtan 2000. Very easy to use, comes with instructions.

Dan.........

This response submitted by Swampfox on 11/26/04 at 5:38 PM. ( ) 216.81.98.22

Why not buy from the folks who so graciously furnish this site for us to use "free" of charge? Check out WASCO (wildlife artists supply company) they also carry Krowtan, as well as many other fine products. Swampfox.

Click on our e-mail address here!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/27/04 at 2:03 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.137

Hi!

Click on our e-mail address in the header and I'll be very happy to send you the instructions for tanning your skins using EZ-100. Unlike other tans - this one is washable and produces a very soft skin. It should also outlast both of our lifetimes together!

Rittels

This response submitted by John on 11/27/04 at 5:49 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I use only Rittels. The other stuff does not not produce real leather contrary to popular belief. They are primarily used for taxidermy and are not recommended for this application. I used Lutan-F for a while and switched to Rittels EZ tan because it can be used for taxidermy or flat hides which by the way are safe to make garments out of. Lutan-F will leach and is not safe to wear against your skin. I also use EZ 100 for rattle snakes. It produces a super leather snake skin and not one of those cheesy glycerin treatments. By the way Bruce, thanks for all the advice you have given me in the past. I really do appreciate the help and we are producing some beautiful skins.

tans

This response submitted by eric on 11/27/04 at 8:42 PM. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

i'd like to jump in here at this point and say i too love bruces eze 100. the quality is unsurpased. no, bruce isn't paying me to say this. if you want prof for yourself. check out my ebay feed back. i'm under seller "sengseal" on the ebay. and many happy satisfied customers can testify as to the soft leather. it will last 75 years and more. and is washable. happy holidays!
e

Amen Eric

This response submitted by John on 11/27/04 at 9:47 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

It is by far the best. Check out my feedback on Ebay too. Frankitee64. I have had people tell me that our home tanned skins are far better than some of the professionally tanned hides. We probably don't get them as thin as the pros but with the Rittels they are very soft and the leather is stronger so that stitching will not tear out.

tan

This response submitted by billy on 11/27/04 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 4.226.60.114

BLAH BLAH BLAH>>>
HI john

I'm a Krowtann fan

This response submitted by J. Randall on 11/29/04 at 11:52 PM. ( ) 216.176.168.19

for hides I intend to mount but as far as a garmet tan goes I have to agree there is none better than Rittles Ez 100.

Return to Tanning Category Menu