Wet tan?

Submitted by Jack F on 11/28/04 at 7:28 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I might not get an answer on this one but I would like to here some thoughts on this anyway. I have read the archives on tanning inside and out. I have read about all kinds of tanning methods and thought I knew quite a bit about the subject. Well my story. I have a LT friend of mine who has been waiting two years for his deer head from a taxiermist about 30 miles from me. He goes and gets the horns back and the cape. I ask the LT what condition is the cape in. He says its wet tanned but needs to be fleshed BELLS WHISTLES go off. I say ok bring it to me and I will take a look. Well he comes. We open the bag to find a very stinky wet ball of hair that would have at one time looked like a deer cape. I am wondering what he may have done? The cape smelled like very strong cow piss for lack of anything better. I am wondering if maybe he pickled it while it was still unturned. Because it was not turned at all and had all meat membrane still on the skin. It was very obvious that it had been soaked in something. Needless to say the LT is not a very happy LT LOL. And this part kills me. One of the antlers had shep when being dragged out so it needed fixing back on. Well this hacksadermist writes the LTs name on both antlers with black marker and ties them together. The marker of coarse is now damn near imposible to remove as it has soaked into the pores of the antlers. I put the antler back on in about half hour. Nice job this guy must do. I will have to make a trip to his shop for sh@#ts and giggles. Thanks for looking

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Brush On Tan

This response submitted by John on 11/28/04 at 10:15 AM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I recieved a couple of skins that were the same crap you are describing. The tan is a brush on preservative. In my mind it is worthless but can be used. It isn't really tanned. The cow piss smell is fermaldahyde. As for not turning the cape. There are a lot of so called taxidermist's that do this. It is pure greed and lazy assed attitude. The mount will last about 5 years in my opinion. I feel better about putting a real leather cape on a form. I at least know that if the customer takes care of the mount it will last a life time.

WRONG ANSWER, John

This response submitted by George on 11/28/04 at 12:41 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.131

Regardless of your personal take on "paint on tanning" it IS a tan and DOES work quite well when done properly. It WILL penetrate a hide if salting (and pickling) are done correctly. It DOES NOT have an AMMONIA smell (that's uric acid) and formaldehyde would certainly perk up anyone's sinuses if they took a whiff of that. I have no idea what's Jeff's describing, but I KNOW FOR A FACT that it's not John Rinehart Tanning Solution, McKenzie Tan, or Liqua-Tan that he's describing.

Thanks George

This response submitted by John on 11/28/04 at 4:30 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

Thanks for correcting me in my ignorance on brush on tan. I still think that what he got was a piece of crap that someone out there did a horrific job on. The one skin I got was a lifesize doe that smelled like one of the frogs I cut up in High School and the person said it was a brush on shop tan. It was a piece of crap and it stunk.

John

This response submitted by George on 11/28/04 at 7:25 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

I know a lot of OLD people like me still have hung on to "secret" shop recipes for tanning. What you got must have been a formaldehyde type concoction. It's sad to say these people are stuck in a time warp. Their work would have probably looked as good as most 50 years ago, but today, we expect "professionals" to do a better job of recreating.

George

This response submitted by John on 11/28/04 at 7:37 PM. ( jbrown81@satx.rr.com ) 24.174.159.219

Can these types of chemicals be washed off and re-treated completely? I still have the doe in my freezer and was wandering if it is salvageable.

Your frog did not have formaldahyde on or in it.

This response submitted by John C on 11/28/04 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I too have seen and cut those same frogs up.

If you had formaldahyde on you it will set your skin up and it i s not truely rubbery but is firm and hard, with little real flex.

The ones that smell like old cow piss are pickled and injected with a heavy salt solution.

Formaldahyde will make your eyes stings, nose burn, you will not really smell it as you will taste it.

I have a gallon in the shop as we speak and it does have uses.

It is very strong and works at a very diluted rate.

I just put five drops from an eye dropper in 3 gallons of water. This set a reptile up with a set/firm skin for molding. Even with my burned out nose I can smell that little of an amount.

More info

This response submitted by Jack F on 11/29/04 at 3:44 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.78

The skin was white like it had been pickled. It had not been fleshed at all. I was told by the customer that the taxidermist said it just needs to be fleshed adn then mounted. I thew it away and would never mount any skin that was in that bad a shape. I have never seen this guys work but I have heard from others that he is geting very slow at his work and it takes for ever to get anythign back from him. I don't think it was a paint on tan they have a better smell then this did. I have used a few of them so I know it was not one.

Return to Tanning Category Menu