dry tanning

Submitted by jk on 11/19/04 at 9:55 PM. ( ) 63.134.156.223

is there any problems that I should worry about if you use a dry tanning instead of a wet tan? I have heard others who have used dry tan no problems others bugs, hair slipage, ect.but on the same hand I heard dry tan streachs better than wet also faster turn around?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It all depends on what tannery you use

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/19/04 at 10:33 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.131

I've tried it both ways. For years I had everything dry tanned. I liked it that you don't have to put it in the freezer to keep good. However you need to mount the capes up within a year or the dry tan could cause the hide to rip and shred on you when you rehydrate it.

I am now using a wet tan. To me the wet tan gives a better stretch, I don't have to mess with rehydrating it and it stores in the freezer without damage for years (provided it is wrapped up good).

Ultimately it depends on how good your tannery is and how well you store your hides after tanning.

About the hair slippage, your tanned hide is only going to be as good as the hide was when you got it in. If it was iffy in the beginning, it could have hairslippage whether you get it dry tanned or wet tanned.

Are you talking about

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/20/04 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

an actual dry tan you get from a tannery or a name brand which is really a dry preservative? A lot of people confuse that name brand for a real tan, that's why I ask. With dp you get incredible stretch and fast turn around, however, if not done properly, can create many, many problems. BP

H&H FUR DRESSING INC.

This response submitted by Mark on 11/20/04 at 12:38 PM. ( markmarltt@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

jk,

Our dry tan is this: When a customer get their hides back from us it is tanned and ready to be soaked up and mounted.

We do offer a wet tan as well at no extra charge. We have been in the tanning business for over twenty years.

Feel free to give me a call at (231) 972-2000 or vist our wesite at www.wildlifedesigninc.com

We have a full time taxidermy studio as well so we know what a taxidermist needs in a tan.

Good luck!

Mark Marlette
President

dp

This response submitted by jk on 11/20/04 at 8:24 PM. ( ) 63.134.142.127

wet tan in a automatic tanner or dry preserative. Is there one better than the other? Not at a tannery. How long does the dry preserative tan last? Compared to a wet tanning in a automatic tanner. Both done by the Taxidermist with professional chemicals from taxidermy company.

jk

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/21/04 at 10:02 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

Dry preservative is NOT a tan, it is a preservative, basically it just dries the skin. The skin is still raw that's the reason for the amount of stretch you can get. It is mostly borax and talc. It will last if done properly.
However, TANNING the skin will stabilize it, it changes the whole chemistry of it, makes it leather.
I used to use dp quite a bit, but have changed strictly to tanning. Both have their pros and cons. I decided that I prefer tanned. It can be rehydrated if need be. You get less shrinkage so it's not absolutely necessary to use an epoxy based hide paste.
I have never used an auto tanner, so I know nothing about them. I have used Liqua-tan, E-Z 100, and Krowtann 2000. All have worked just fine. I am going to send a cape or two out to be commercially tanned this year and see how I like that.
Try them all. Ultimately,you will have to decide which works best for you. BP

Return to Tanning Category Menu