Greasy fox

Submitted by Larry Carter on 11/2/04 at 12:01 PM. ( larrycarter1234@yahoo.com ) 12.22.157.91

I just tanned two fox skins. One turned out great with soft fur and very pliable but the second felt greasy during the entire drying process. Since they're both tanned. Can I just soak the greasy fox in Dawn dishwashing liquid and water or do I need to use a degreaser?
I used the one hour tan on both.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

yes

This response submitted by Kim C. on 11/2/04 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 128.192.139.217

you can wash it in dawn that should do it
Good Luck,
Kim
Bubba's Taxidermy
http://www.freewebs.com/bubbas_taxidermy

I like prell shampoo

This response submitted by Todd B on 11/2/04 at 1:29 PM. ( ) 4.225.21.133

I have had fox skins oily also. Even after they are mounted. I like Prell shampoo and it comes out smelling nice also.

Todd B

Depends on the oil

This response submitted by - on 11/2/04 at 2:06 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.52

Was it the oil you used? If this is the case, you might not be able to get it out with Dawn. I have 6 here that I triple-washed and they are still so oily that their fur sticks to their skins all over. I ended up re-tanning some smaller stuff with the same problem, because if nothing else works, the 1 pH will break up the oil. That did work and the smaller stuff is doing well. Won't use that oil again.

gee whiz

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/2/04 at 8:06 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.77

Ever wonder why we so often (like always) suggest degreasing fox with real degreaser? Now you know! Unfortunately, youre finding out the hard way now. My guess, and it truly is a guess, would be to degrease the proper way, no shortcuts, and try re-oiling. Based on grease burnt skins Ive seen, Im not so sure youll clear it up. The best guy to ask in here would be Bruce Rittel. By the way, ALL fox need to be degreased during the pickle process, trust us!

greese

This response submitted by eric on 11/2/04 at 10:27 PM. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

if it is tanned well. try this.
hookup a hot water hose. like about 129 degrees like in your house.
rinse it quickly on both sides for about 1 minute each side.
let it hang/drain in a cool area overnight. then bounce it around for about 2 hours in corn cod flour with some hotwater and oxyclean added to the flour. rate is 1 and 1/2 spoon full oxyclean to 9 cubs hot water to 4 gal. corn cob flour. that should give you a clean bright fur.
i do suggest this if you tan with bruces eze 100. as that is a washable tan. and the best as far as i'm concerned .. goodluck
eric

folx

This response submitted by eric on 11/2/04 at 10:30 PM. ( beartrapman@webtv.net ) 216.114.124.121

ps. dump the dawn as it has a bleaching agent in it. not good for bright color fur!
e

Talc will soak up

This response submitted by KB on 11/3/04 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

grease in dry fur quite well. Rub talc into the fur and brush it in, let it sit a few minutes, then blow it out with an air compressor. (Outside, if you don't have a dirty work room to work in.)

Return to Tanning Category Menu