Tanning using tea

Submitted by Ane on 11/7/04 at 1:28 PM. ( ) 148.122.150.65

Hei! Has anyone some experience in using tea as a tanner?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Rabbit skins

This response submitted by Laurie on 11/8/04 at 5:34 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Ane,

I tried tanning rabbit skins with tea bags but the quantity of tanning in ("British Tea") is low. I applied the tan for some time but the net affect was essentially a dry skin with a tea colouring. The skins did not tan at all well. However, there maybe people out there with a different technique and I would also be interested.

Kindest regards

Tea again

This response submitted by Ane on 11/8/04 at 5:30 PM. ( ) 148.122.27.242

Hei Laurie.
Thanks for response!
I dont know if the few numbers of answers meens that people have bad experience..But maybe its not interesting using it, when there already exists some other good methods.I recently talked to a taxidermist in Sweden, and he had tried tea on small specimens with good result.So, I just have to try.
So now trying some goatskins in tea.Ill tell you more in some days when I have some results.
Ane

More tea

This response submitted by Laurie on 11/9/04 at 4:23 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

Ann,

When the tea eventually dries is leaves quite a firm skin but it looks and feels a bit like wax paper. The tea I presume, will kill the bugs off (caffine overdose ;-) before the skin dries but I am not sure. I will look on line and try to work out the percentage tannign in tea and this should give us a glue as to its usefullness.

Goodluck with the Goat Skins,

Kindest regards

tea

This response submitted by Laurier on 11/9/04 at 9:24 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.232

I have only heard of using tea to change the colour of leather.
even the way the indians would brain tan 100 years ago,use tea to change the colour.

Return to Tanning Category Menu