how to tan and keep the fur

Submitted by josh on 12/2/04 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 67.37.50.103

I received a dear hide that my neighbor shot while hunting, I would like to tan this hide and keep the fur on. How do I do that? I have heard of a process called Bronzing. What is that? Also under my dads advice I scraped the hide then salted with table salt. Did I ruin the hide or was my dad right?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Father Knows Best

This response submitted by John on 12/2/04 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

Josh, Your Dad must be a smart guy because that is exactly the right thing to do. The salt makes for a very poor environment for bacteria to grow and will preserve the hide until you are ready to tan it. Just roll it into somewhat of a tube and put it on an incline to let all the unwanted liquid run out. The next day shake or scrape off the old salt and re-salt it lying flat and let it dry stiff as a board.

Go to this website and order a EZ100 Kit It is very affordable and it is the best money can buy in my opinion.
www.Rittelsupplies.net Talk to Bruce Rittel. He is very friendly and helpful. He always answers questions you may have.

Bronzing?

This response submitted by John on 12/2/04 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

Josh, Sorry never heard of bronzing. Maybe Bruce or George Roof knows. George are you out there?

Bronzing

This response submitted by cur on 12/3/04 at 12:54 AM. ( ) 4.227.102.186

The only use of the term "bronzing" that I know of in leather making is when excess dying materials crystalize on the fur....that is called "bronzing". There may be another definition, but that is all I know. The ALCA web base is down and I can't look the term up in their glossary. "Bronzing" or the effect sometimes happens in bark tan processes, if the tannin content is too high.....

Take John C's advise about the tanning kit.....

John B not John C

This response submitted by John B on 12/3/04 at 9:36 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

I am not the regular John C. I am John B. Just didn't want other people to take credit for my genius mind! LOL! LMAO! Etc... Thanks for the tip on bronzing. I had no idea what Josh was speaking of.

thank you very much

This response submitted by josh on 12/6/04 at 11:47 PM. ( ) 67.37.50.254

thank you for all the advice. one more question though with the tanning kit will that still allow me to keep th hair on the hide or will it eventually still just fall out? I have other hides and they are shedding, and i would like to made this hide into a coat. Is there another process wich will insure my hide not to lose its coat? Thank you again

Follow Directions

This response submitted by John on 12/7/04 at 11:17 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

Please follow the directions very close. It started when your Dad salted the hide. If you let it dry completely it will help to lock the hair in even tighter. The Rittels tanning kit in my opinion is the best to be had. If you order it from Rittels and have questions Bruce Rittel himself will answer any questions that you may have. He is an expert and an extremely nice man. I for one, respect him highly. No he is not paying me to say that.

Return to Tanning Category Menu