Quality tan -- tannery -vs- brush on tan ?

Submitted by don on 12/6/04 at 11:49 AM. ( kyhilbil@vvm.com ) 66.196.1.33

I was taught in school that a good cost effective way to tan a deer cape for shoulder mounting is by using McKenzie brush on tan. Since I have been in buisness for about a year now, there is another local taxidermist who has been slamming me for not using a tannery. Is there really that much difference in long term quality between a commercial tanned cape and doing it in house with the McKenzie tan?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Jealousy rearing it's ugly head

This response submitted by George on 12/6/04 at 1:06 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.74

He's probably just set in his ways like most of us and thinks it makes him look bigger when he's looking down his nose at someone else. Your tan will be just fine and as slow as the manufacturers are coming to realize, you tan is likely better than SOME you might get done commercially. I use a mixture of methods, having some professionally done while using a paint on on some others. Hell, I still DP animals up to coyote size, so I'm sure he'd have something to say about that as well.

whew ! i feel better

This response submitted by don on 12/6/04 at 3:40 PM. ( kyhilbil@vvm.com ) 66.196.3.189

Thanks, George. I feel better. This other taxidermist is quite well known to be extremely outspoken and opionated ( trying to be politcally correct ) but he probably is the oldest taxidermist in the area which is why he had me wondering. I want to make an honest effort to make quality mounts and the McKenzie brush on was what we were taught, as well as dp'ing the smaller mammals. thanks again.

George

This response submitted by oldshaver on 12/6/04 at 8:52 PM. ( ) 207.69.13.72

Do you really think the man is jealous? It might be his honest opinion.

Possibly.........

This response submitted by don on 12/7/04 at 10:27 AM. ( kyhilbil@vvm.com ) 66.196.3.21

it is possible that this may be the man's honest opinion, but as i said, he is well known looking down his nose at other folks, especially other taxidermist which is why i asked the question initially.

OS, you're right

This response submitted by George on 12/7/04 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.74

And he's entitled to his honest opinion just like I am to mine. MOST likely, however, is that us OLD guys tend to be stuck in the ways of the past and stay away from innovations. If that's true, he's probably still using sulfuric acid too. Bummer.

I get it

This response submitted by oldshaver on 12/7/04 at 7:51 PM. ( ) 207.69.4.42

and I aint going there George, not today.

maybe so....

This response submitted by don on 12/7/04 at 10:21 PM. ( kyhilbil@vvm.com ) 66.196.2.153

im not certain what method he is using, to each his own. im not in the buisness to slam other taxidermists. im just trying to learn it and do the best i can and was wondering if i was doing wrong. but like i said, the particular guy has a reputation for being rude and sharp even to his customers.

Return to Tanning Category Menu