First time tanning.... Don't know where to start!

Submitted by Krys Gokey on 12/10/04 at 6:39 AM. ( klg_51@yahoo.com ) 24.59.252.209

For Christmas a friend of mine bought me a muskrat skin. The muskrat was cleaned and for the most part the fat deposits and muscle were removed along w/ the bones. Unfortunatly, I do not know how to tan and I don't want to risk losing the beautiful coat to rot or neglect of tanning. Along with this I am in NY and winter is here. I'm not sure how to get enough heat to properly tan the fur. The skin as of now is in a freezer. Is there any suggestions for methods, and/ or any chemicals etc. that I will need to purchase? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Krys

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 12/10/04 at 7:18 AM. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.161.128.116

Not trying to sound like an A$$ but there is so much info if you type in how to tan in the search button. You will find there are so many different way of doing a tan by yourself. My real suggestion is if your that afraid of tanning send it out to a tannery and let them do what they know best. Do a little searching first and when you get stuck with a problem and not sure of a certain product we will be more able to help you out. We all have our own different ways or products that we all use and all turn out just fine. Read, learn, choose and ask then will go a long way here.

I would

This response submitted by J. Randall on 12/10/04 at 12:47 PM. ( ) 216.176.168.191

Use Krow-Tann 2000 by Ozark woods, you can get it from WASCO, it will produce a quality tan for mounting and it doesn't get any easier, pretty much fool proof as long as you follow the directions. Now if your wanting to rug it I would go with Ez-100 by Rittles which you can also get from WASCO it will include instuctions and produces a quality garment Tan. Also as Frank mentioned the search button will let you read,learn and decide what sounds best to you. But both the above mentioned products will do the trick just make sure to follow the directions. Hope this helps you out

First Step

This response submitted by John on 12/10/04 at 5:15 PM. ( ) 24.174.159.219

First let it thaw in the fridge. Once it is thawed salt it with non-iodized table salt. Salt it real good and rub it into the hide. Roll it up and place it on an inclined surface so that the unwanted moisture will run out. Leave it like that for 24 hours. Next day scrape off the wet salt and resalt it flattened out and let it dry like a piece of cardboard. When I say salt I mean salt heavily. Order the Rittels EZ 100 tanning kit from Rittels.

Paint on tan, tanning kits

This response submitted by Steve A. on 12/14/04 at 4:16 PM. ( ) 216.129.231.7

If you don't want to take a chance of losing your skin I'd send it off to a tannery. Salt it, as mentioned earlier, and let it dry out hard. Then mail it off. When I first started I even lost some valuable deer capes. If you are committed to learning to tan though, I'd start with some of the paint on tans that are available in nearly all taxidermy catalogs. Good Luck, Steve

Return to Tanning Category Menu