how to buy a cow hide rug

Submitted by Cora on 12/10/04 at 9:11 AM. ( cora.carriveau@sympatico.ca ) 216.46.133.227

I'd like to buy a cow hide rug. I've been told that the olde hyde house sells them for around $800, which sounds like too much.

I'd rather not buy this over the internet since I'd like to see what I'm getting first. I have no idea where to start here.

Can a buy a cow hide from an abattoir then get it tanned? Will this end up costing me the same as if I had bought it from the hyde house?

I live in the London, Windsor area. Anybody have suggestions about how I would go about doing this and what to expect as far as costs go.

Thanks,
Cora

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Suggestion

This response submitted by cur on 12/10/04 at 12:48 PM. ( ) 4.227.96.185

I am not sure what you have in mind, that is color, species, etc. Yes you can purchase a hide from an abattoir (slaughter house) and have it tanned and process if they will sell you one. There are lots of places here in Texas that sell tanned beef hides for from $300 upward, depending on color and pattern. The El Paso Saddle Blanket Company in El Paso, TX, (a mail-order catalog house specializing in Western items),used to sell them, but I am not sure they still do so.

Moscow hide and fur (on the web) sells quality products. I just checked their web site and all the presently have are some tanned Scottish Highlander Cattle rugs for around $400.

If you buy a raw, salted hide, any competitent taxidermist can have it tanned and finished to your specifications - That is plain rug tanned, or with felt backing.

cow hide

This response submitted by nobody on 12/10/04 at 10:43 PM. ( ) 216.209.149.65

if you drive off the beaten path, go to a rural cut & kill, you can get a cow hide for 25.00$ Ontario is processing so many animal's because of border closing, most guy's cant give them away.

cow hide

This response submitted by Gary Braswell on 12/10/04 at 10:52 PM. ( truelife05@bellsouth.net ) 68.217.206.76

Cora I can get you a cow hide I sell them all the time mine sell for $270.00 to $375.00 and these are all ready tanned and very soft. Let me know how I can help you. thank you, Gary (229)243 1101

cow hides

This response submitted by Jess on 1/7/05 at 4:17 PM. ( netjh@hotmail.com ) 201.252.29.47

Hi Cora i understand that you don`t want to buy it online but i suggest you to do it, it`easy and fast and you can see the pictures of the hides before and then chose the one you like i can offer beautiful grade A cow hides only for $175 (american dollars, i have plenty experience on selling online and most of my customers are from UK also i can give you many contacts from people that has bought from me as you can verify and trust on the transaction Happy New Year and if you are interested contact me I`m from argentina and i sell the cowhidesdirectly from my tannery.
Hope it can works

Return to Tanning Category Menu