Is This for Real?

Submitted by KB on 12/12/04 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

There are several websites advertising this water that they say is so pure that you can keep salt and freshwater fish together in it. Do you guys know anything about this? I guess this isn't tanning, but since we've been talking about water quality, I've been curious about this. The site is www.acm-pi.co.jp/Ework8.html. Glen, Cur, you other chemists out there, what do you think?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Scanned photo,

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 12/12/04 at 10:23 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

starts falling apart at enlargements of 426.31%, by the time it gets to 816.62% enlargement, the gold fish in the right hand corner still has an awful lot of detail. Cur can do a better job than that with those photo programs.

Thanks!

This response submitted by KB on 12/13/04 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. I have one of those photo programs myself, and am busy printing out silly Christmas cards with it. No false advertising, though.

On fishies and fishy photos

This response submitted by cur on 12/13/04 at 1:33 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.47

While the photo seems to have been auto-enhanced, I don't think it is a cut and past job unless the pixel matching was done by much more sophisticated equipment than I own.

What is evident is that, while the salt water fish are typical benthic marine species, the only freshwater fish in evidence are the golden bass. Many species of Cyprinids and Cyprinodontids can survive well in either fresh, brackish or salt water environments. Cyprinodonts in the genus Fundulus (Mud Minners to you flounder fishermen)that live around my sea wall can be trapped and placed into a fresh water aquarium where they eventually expire from old age.

Same is true for some carp minnows. In fact, they sell a carp minnow here for offshore bait that are called, "Salties", which are nothing more than conditioned goldfish.

True saltwater species are adapted to live in a saline environment, and have organs and systems modified to exist in high salinity. True freshwater species like the Centrarchidids (Sunfishes) cannot survive in high salinity. Black bass are often found in brackish waters, but I do not know their salinity limits.

The water you describe may be at borderline salinity levels for both species, and the salinity may be produced by other than dissolved sodium chloride...who knows. If you noticed the fine print on that home page, it was in Jo yo con gi.......Chinese characters, and not in Engrish.

Water (H2O)is water. The basic stuff is a liquid made from combining two gases, hydrogen and oxygen. It is, in a way, an amazing substance. Like Aqua Regina, it will even dissolve noble metals in time. Water dissolves all sorts of materials, including sodium chloride (salt). The percentage of dissolved "salts", so long as it is not toxic to life forms, dictates what can and what cannot survive in water. Fishes have adapted to live in high salinity and other fishes have adapted to lower salinity levels. Some can survive in either.

As far as water choice for tanning and pickling. It can't get much purer than distilled bottled water......cheap at twice the price at most Walley Worlds and your local Super Market. I will go back to that web site and try to figure out more about the claims at some point for my own curiosity, but I am done here.

cur

This response submitted by brad on 12/17/04 at 12:05 PM. ( remmi24@yahoo.com ) 144.160.98.31

once again: WOW
can i borrow your brain for a year or two?

Return to Tanning Category Menu