Whitetail rug

Submitted by Kristi on 12/16/04 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 66.37.197.105

I am thrilled. First of all, this forum is awesome. What a resource... I just did my first whitetail rug, and while I've been anxious/nervous about it (being my first), I'm pleasantly surprised. I think the acid bate in the pickle really did wonders for the softness of the hide.

I let my hide dry for a little over 2 days. I think it was about 95% dry today before I started the actual "breaking" process (the elbow grease method). I've been debating over investing the time and money to build a tumbler, but I thought I'd just try it the old-fashioned hard way first. I thought I'd be wrestling with that hide all night, but actually I was quite satisfied with it after only about an hour and a half! It really wasn't that bad...I'm surprised.

I'm sure tumblers are a great time saver, and I'm confident that they do a great job. I still plan on getting one. But I just wanted to tell others that you can get the job done well with a bit more effort and time without one.

Kristi

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Kristi

This response submitted by George on 12/17/04 at 8:43 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.130

You do know, I hope, that your tumbler needs to be 8 feet in diameter to work in breaking a hide? The tumblers we talk about on here are for drying birds usually and they consist of smaller drums.

Yes

This response submitted by Kristi on 12/17/04 at 10:13 AM. ( ) 144.9.158.104

Yes, I know that. You told me that when I posted several days ago. I asked what size you had or if you tumbled deer skins yourself, but I don't believe you responded. Rittle supposedly has plans on how to build large tumblers fairly reasonable.

I have access to a machine shop, and my husband's a mechanical engineer... he'd enjoy this project. I'm just not in a huge hurry to build a huge tumbler after breaking this hide was so easy.

If you do bigger stuff like elk

This response submitted by KB on 12/17/04 at 10:24 PM. ( ) 65.161.239.4

you will want a tumbler! Either that or you will have world class muscles.

Return to Tanning Category Menu