Flour Salt & Safety Acid

Submitted by Kristi on 12/16/04 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 66.37.197.105

Hopefully Mr. Rittle can answer this...

I just recently went to the feed store that I usually get my salt from and asked for 100 pounds of the finest grade salt that they have. I made the mistake once getting Morton mixing salt, and it was so course that I about wore myself out stirring! It would never disolve. I figured that they'd give me what I bought the last time (just salt- but finer grade than feed salt), but it's actually flour salt with an added ingredient, tricalcium phosphate.

Will this hurt my safety acid pickle bath or my Lutan F tanning bath? If it's ok, is it the same pound for pound as regular salt? Can I use it to cure hides with?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Kristi, I'm certainly not Bruce

This response submitted by George on 12/17/04 at 8:41 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.130

But salt is salt (make sure it's NaCl, however). A pound of feathers weighs as much as a pound of lead, you know, and your mixing by weight will work just fine. The reason the mixing salt took so long was most likely aided by using cold water. The best way to add the heavier salt to the solution would have been to premeasure the salt and then pour boiling water over it. Once the salt melted and the water cooled, it would still be suspended in the water and would certainly have mixed much better than trying it in cold water.

Tribase Calcium

This response submitted by cur on 12/17/04 at 8:47 AM. ( ) 4.226.213.234

Well, I am not Bruce Rittle by a long shot, and can't answer your question regarding safety acid and your salt, but I can tell you what you have. Tricalcium Phosphate is used as an antacid in the medical industry and in a lot of prepared foods. The salt you have is used in hydroponics too and as a feed supplement.

Tricalcium phosphate is known as Bone ash. As far as I know, it is not water soluable, and will dissolve only in Hydrochloric or Nitric Acid. Whether or not it would remain an inert sludge in the bottom of your pickle or not is beyond me. Personally I sure wouldn't try it That would be like tossing a few pounds of Alka Seltzer or Tums into the pickle.

Maybe Bruce can shed some light on this. We use it sometimes for other purposes.....the Tribase Calcium, that is. I would have said something sooner, but I figured Bruce would set you straight.

LOL, George

This response submitted by cur on 12/17/04 at 9:14 AM. ( ) 4.226.213.234

Like minds........No one had posted when I hit the trigger.....didn't mean to ride in with you. I forgot to mention what we use tricalcium phosphate to do here. We use it as a polishing agent for gems and glass and teeth, soapstone carvings and thangs. You use it too, it is an ingedient in most tooth pastes and dental powders.

Return to Tanning Category Menu