i know, i know

Submitted by brad on 12/17/04 at 12:12 PM. ( remmi24@yahoo.com ) 144.160.98.31

ok i know this question has probably been asked 400 billion times, but
i was wondering what the best pickle for soft tanning critters is.
"critters" consist of coons foxes and deer hides.
i was all over orange button land and found everything about nothing.
i cant find the simple answer to this question.
i dont do my own tanning and was thinking of trying my hand on a few deer hides or coon i catch trapping. i have done the alum tan when i was a kid but that sucked. i want a newer way to do it.
any good books or videos? i want to pickle,drip,shave,pickle,drip,
tan, and oil.
any info an a good pair to accomplish this would be great.
if you look up soft tan you get alot of questions about specific agents and no one recomending a certain one.
come on bruce gimmie have it.
brad

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Best is a subjective statement

This response submitted by John C on 12/17/04 at 12:30 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

There is not any best.
What works for me may not work for you, and what I think is best is just my opinion. There are several different tans that I use.

It depends on what the hide is going to be used for and what condition the hide is in.

So Alum sucked, when you were a kid? Maybe you need to rethink and try it again.

Now that you say Alum, which type of ALUM? Even Lutan can be considered ALUM, since its base is ALUMINUM CLORIDE.

Personally I have great luck with Aluminum Sulphate, I highly recommend it. I also dont have the problems I hear people talk about and have never seen the problems some speak of. I guess they could happen, but if the mount last longer than I live, WHY FRICKEN WORRY!

thanks john

This response submitted by brad on 12/17/04 at 1:00 PM. ( remmi24@yahoo.com ) 144.160.98.31

i cant remember the exact alum i used i know i got it at a drug store with my dad when i was about 10. im not experienced in tanning at all
and looking for simplicity and effectivemess on garment tanning. or wall hangings. they wont be mounted.
brad

Wall hangings Aluminum sulphate works well

This response submitted by John C on 12/17/04 at 1:47 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I dont know for garments, go to Rittels site, he can help.

Speaking of subjective, alum still sucks

This response submitted by George on 12/17/04 at 3:39 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.74

And that's MY OPINION. I certainly wouldn't use it on a garment.

Return to Tanning Category Menu